1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink and burning a dual layer disk

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by edgex, Nov 25, 2004.

1. edgex

edgex Member

Has anyone had any experience in burning a dual layer disk with Shrink? Can you burn with compressing? Is Shrink capable of backing up a DVD 9 Any sources of additional information?

2. ronjon

ronjon Member

I don't understand; why would you need to shrink it? You do mean ripping to a DVD-9 disc, yes?

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Ok your question seems a bit unclear. But what the heck I'll give it a go.

If your source is DVD9 and your blank is DVD5 then yes Shrink will compress it and make it fit. There are plenty of guides floating around here to explain the process.

If your source is DVD9 and your blank is DVD9 then you really wouldn't need to, but you can still use shrink. Simply click edit-preferences-target DVD size:(select DVD9).

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Have you read any threads about DVD Shrink?

5. edgex

edgex Member

I should clarify the question. we know that shrink will compress a DVD 9 to fit on to a standard DVD 5.
    What I'm wondering about, is a full DVD 9 on to a DVD 9 blank. will shrink burn on to both layers and will it play back on a normal dvd player.

So what I'm asking is, will shrink back up a complete dvd 9 with out any compression on to a blank DVD 9 if I use a dual layer burner.

and Mod, I have checked what I could in various sections of this board. there just wasn't a whole lot od dual layer info that I could find. any additional info you could share would be appreciated...

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Yea, the reason why there isn't too many thread on dual layer is because the media is too expensive for people to test.

And yes Shrink will work. It does support dual layer burning. Just choose no compression and when you open Shrink click edit then preferences. Change the target dvd size to a dvd9 (8.5GB)

You can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO mode. ISO Read, then ISO Write.

7. edgex

edgex Member

Thanx for the input MOD, I would have to assume that the price for the media will drop just like the DVD 5 has. It's a bonus to be able to do the back up with out compression.

It sounds like the DL burner would be a nice compliment to my TDK880 burner...thanx again

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I have succesfully burned a DL disc at 4x. I used DVD Shrink and Nero. I set the size to DVD-9 and removed the layer break. I remember reading somewhere that nero will add it's own layer break so I took a risk. Not only did it add a layer break, but it put it exactly in the same spot of the original layer break. Has anyone else had good results with DL disks using these two programs and have any extra suggestions?