1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrink and cpu temp

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rpm-inc, Jun 21, 2007.

1. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Guest

Lately I have been ripping movies with DVDFab, and if the file is over 4.3 gig, I then use Shrink. How come some movies cause the temp to shoot over 160, and then a similar size or sometimes much larger (6+gig)file will hardly change the cpu temp at all?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

depends how much grunt work Shrink has to do, it's very CPU intensive

3. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Guest

Thanks. I do understand that. But after the disc has been ripped with DVDFab, all the encryptions are already removed, right? The only grunt work would be the shrinking part? Why do 2 different movies that are already ripped with DVDFab and are about the same file size cause shrink to work harder on one than the other. This doesn't really bother me, I am just curious.

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

rpm-inc,
    It could be the action or the color that is causing the algorithm to work harder to find the best transcode for the frames.

If your temps are going to 160 then you really need to add fans to the inside of the computer or clean out the dust bunnies and make sure the fans are really working on the inside. Mine rarely goes over 112 and I am using DVD-RB which is more CPU Intensive