1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink and HDD choice

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Stoner51, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Stoner51

Stoner51 Guest

This may be a stupid ?. I am thinking about uprgrading my HDD from a 80 maxtor to a 160 Seagate, putting my OS on the 160 and using the 80 to hold movies music and photos. My question is when you backup with shrink It autoselects the file as C I am assuming that the 80 gig HDD will be F or something will I have to manaully type this and then will it extract it from that drive. ? 2 how do I delete what is on the HDD? Will there be a comflict if both HDD run @ the same time, Do I need a ata PCI card. Thanks in advance. Oh BB has a 160 Seagate 130 with 60 rebate, don't like rebates but like$70.

2. BigRed1

BigRed1 Member

I just set mine up this way. DVDShrink allows you to find the files on a second hard drive and select with your mouse cursor on a drop down menu, no problem there. Mine is F: as well. As long as you have your drive configured right with your BIOS, operating system, and IDE selections, you should have no trouble at all.

To delete what is on your second hard drive, just go to Start/My Computer/F:/(your tempfile here) and delete the ISO images in that file when you are through with each successful project.

What's nice about having a dedicated hard drive for movies is that you can delete all completed files and run a fast defrag of an empty drive. Defragmentation of the drive is a good idea after 3-5 completed burns.

Don't know what system you have or it's capabilities, but my Dell P4, 1024G RAM will allow two drives to be functioning simultaneously, but it's not recommended. I cam surf this fourm no problem while burning at 8X on a Plextor 712A or NEC 2510Aplus.

Again, not knowing what system you have, my Dell carries the second drive as slave on Primary IDE, connected straight to the board. No extra card needed.

That's a great deal on a Seagate drive. You'll like it, it's real quiet!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I have 3 drives and as Big Red says no problem. I use RB/CCE a lot while I sleep and if you use batch mode you can easily use 15-20 g's per movie! do 3 movies and that's, well you get my drift. I have a W.D. 120g HD I use only for video purposes. In shrink, just like all others just create a folder on your new drive and browse to that one when backing up for your temp.

In fact I created individual folders for each app that I have ie. DVDCopy 2, IC 8, DVD2one, Alchohol 120, and so on, then use that folder with the corresponding app. That way, no confusion or searching for files.

One other note, make sure you format(if new) or partition(if already in use) your HD for NTFS. FAT 32 can only handle up to 4g's while NTFS can use 10g's. As you know video files are very large for the most part, and NTFS is well suited to them.

[bold]Will there be a comflict if both HDD run @ the same time, [/bold] If you're talking about multi-tasking, Don't do it! Video work takes up more of your PC's resources than anything you can do. It's tricky enough without adding to your PC"s stress level. LOL

As far as using 2 HD's for video work at the same time, I prefer it. It's much faster and easier on your PC. I'll rip on one then send reworked or encoded files to another. Works great!!
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SOHW 832S dual layer[/small]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  4. Stoner51

Stoner51 Guest

Thank you both for your help. I am having some download problems. But I think by default they are downloaded to C and I want F to be the main drive and C to be the backup drive. C was my main HDD. but now I would like to just use it for storage. Can I erase it and format and repartion with maxtor software or not. Thanks again.

Oh Big O some words War Eagle

Steve

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I would leave my C drive alone, 80gigs is plenty for your OS and other stuff too(I used a 40g for a long time and had no problem). I would use the larger HD for your video work. believe me, it can pile up fast what with movie file sizes. you could partition it for 80g's each or whatever you wish.

Just create your new folders on the Seagate and when downloading, yes your default is to the C drive, but you can send your DL anywhere you want, so send it to the Seagate HD if you wish.

There is a proggy called magic partition 8(the free version works fine) that is perfect for partitioning HDs.