1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink and .mds files?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hrdbawl, Oct 6, 2004.

1. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

I can't figure it out, but I analyse and shrink any of my movies with Shrink into a folder in what is supposed to be .ISO format for burning with Nero and no matter what I do, I find it copies it from Shrink in .mds format. Weird thing is, I know it has to be a setting, but I can't find it not to mention I was using this very same computer for months (this program too) successfully, moved the box from one room to another and the first movie I tried, copied it in .mds format. This isn't a game, it is a dvd movie. Has this happened to anyone or can someone point out the obvious for me. I've gone weeks now trying everything, but can't figure it out. I followed all the directions to the "t", but it refuses to copy in .ISO format for Nero burning. I don't have the burn in Nero checked and I tell it to copy in .ISO format too. Thanks in advance.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there hrdbawl,

I'm trying to figure out what your poroblem is - You have an ISO image that can be picked up and burnt by CopyToDVD, Nero OR DVD decrypter - Mds by anyother name is still an ISO -What are you having trouble with ?

Tell me the specifics -

Pete

3. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Thanks Pete. I simply place my DVD in the drive, start the analyis with Shrink, copy the DVD on the hard drive (all is normal seemingly at this time), open Nero and point to the folder I copied the backup and Nero doesn't recognize my backup unless I ask it to look at ALL files from the pull down menu (I think default is Nero images or somehting like that) and then it shows that the movie was backed up in .mds format of which is new to me (normally it reads a single .ISO after the title of the movie in my prior experinnces on this very computer as well as another one I have) therefore not burning appropriately due to the .MDS version I guess. I am simply trying to get it to copy in .ISO like it always did and I've tried everything including carrying all settings of the one computer that is copying correctly and confirming the accuracy on the computer in question. I still can't get it to burn in .ISO vs. .MDS and hence not burning when asked to. Maybe I should say not RECOGNIZING my new copy job as usual. Hope this made more sense.

P.s. Did I read your comment in another thread correct that copying rentals is legal? I was always afraid to.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

hrdbawl,

Last things first ,

I have no idea what country you live in nor what their laws are -

I NEVER SAID COPYING RENTAL DVD'S WAS LEGAL

Dela, one of the current admins speaking for Ketola said that AfterDawn has no problem with pple copying rental DVD's. I assume dRD agrees. I cannot even suggest that anyone should read the forum rules, only Mods can do that so they'll just let my butt hang out in the breeze hampered by rules that will not let me show you where their views may be seen.

As for your "problem" - There is no place in DVD Shrink where you may select Nero to burn an ISO Image. Nero may burn VIDEO_TS (VOB) folders only as listed in DVD Shrink. If you wish to burn ISO images, use either DVD Decrypter OR CopyToDVD as burners.

If you wish to backup an ISO Image to your HD then burn it sometime later with Nero use SmartStart, choose Copy and Backup (second in from the right), Burn image to disc - Nero Express should then open as should an "Open" Browser window. At the bottom, where it says "files of type" you'll probably see "All Nero compilations and images" hit the "arrow" there and down up one to where it says, "Image files (*.ISO, * .CUE)" and choose that. Then select the image you wish to burn and off you go -

If I were you, I'd just let DVD decrypter burn DVD Shrink's ISO image "automatically", but then, that's me -

Cheers,

Pete

5. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Good stuff. Thanks for trying. It is hard to explain my issue via email. While some of what you said is my issue, most of it isn't my issue. The .ISO image I speak of is what you "select" when you are at the backup stage in Shrink. On the target device tab, you pull down the menu to find...
    ISO image file
    ISO image file and burn with DVD dycryptor
    Hard drive file

I have been using ISO image file

When done, I open Nero, look into the appropriate folder where I saved the image that I just copied from Shrink, and Nero wants to look for it's own "nero compliations and images". However, I asked Shrink to copy in ISO format as mentioned above, so I pull down the menu to find multiple formats and then click on "image files" under the menu file of type at the bootom of the window that has my saved copied backup. Now, normally, and on my other computer, I will see the movie I just backed up, an ISO image file of which I select and hit next with Nero and away it burns. If this makes more sense, my question is why on one computer does it NOT show an ISO image file and one computer it does? I can't seem to burn the .MDS file (I could for games, but not movies) but I can burn the ISO files all day. Does this shed a better light on my issue?

Also, I have used DVD Dycryptor plenty of times, but I found the Shrink/Nero combo is my preference and when I tried to use Dycryptor with this mess I am in thinking it might have a better take on it, it too wnats to copy in MDS. I know there is an easy solution, I just can't figure it out.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I understand totally what you're saying and don't have an answer for it, I'll keep on looking for it though. Maybe between the 2 of us we'll find someone who can clue us both in - - :)

Still, I have to ask - why don't you, for this one application, use DVD Decrypter to burn your ISO to disc "automatically."

I'm always doing something when I'm burning and for me it's just so handy. The truth be told, since I have 2 burners so I still have to click 1 time to tell Decrypter which one to fire up. Still, I do get a sound to alert to tell me it's that time :)
    All you have to do to get it working is "untick" the "Burn with Nero" in preferances then "Backup DVD", "Target Device" then Select backup target:" and choose "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". From then on it carries over time after time. The burning time is within a minute or 2 of each other and, as they say, (Whoever "they" are,) an ISO Image is an ISO Image :)

Just a thought -

Cheers,

Pete

7. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Once again, good stuff. I have one burner, so I can't do this method of walking away, and I have tried to use Dycryptor for this issue (not a specific movie by the way, any movie on this computer does this) and still the same problem. Damn, I know it is staring right in my face. I do leave the tick unchecked for Nero by the way. Oh well I guess. Thanks for trying.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi hrdbawl,

Yes, let "Burn with Nero" un-ticked - If you were to tick it, then you'd have problems - :(

DVD Shrink was never designed to work with nero burning an ISO image BUT DVD Decrypter was -

Let's work with that for just a bit more, humor me, OK ?

Let's have you use this link and re-check each and every setting -

The guide is about the middle of the page -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Let me know how you fare, alright ?

Cheers,