1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink and sound question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PennRon, Dec 30, 2004.

1. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:

My question involves the sound formats when backing up a dvd with Shrink. I always back up my originals using the re-author method ie: just backing up the movie without menus, extras etc. I noticed that when I backup a dvd that has DTS 5.1 English as a choice and I only choose that format then I am unable to hear any sound in a player that is DTS compatible (and enabled) but does not have an A/V receiver connected.

However if I choose the AC3 5.1 channel format alone then it is able to play in the same scenario. I dont understand why a player that is capable of playing DTS and AC3 doesn't play the DTS but it can play the AC3 on a player which is connected directly to a tv with no receiver involved. I checked the players setup and DTS is enabled. I hope I've made the problem clear. Regards....

2. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I have used both AC3 and DTS and I would much rather use the AC3 5 channel audio, it sounds about the same and takes up half the space on the disc. I do believe but am not certain that in order to play the DTS sound it must be hooked to a reciever. Mine only works through the reciever and not the TV alone. But my recommendation is to use only AC3 since it will work in any situation, and sounds good and uses less space which equals less compresion which is never a bad thing.

3. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

Yes sean5775 I agree and in the past have always choosen AC3 over DTS for the reasons you describe. However I just backed up a dvd with DTS and it played flawlessly through my Yamaha DTS AV rig. As I stated it doesnt play in the bedroom from same dvd player
    directly to the tv.

I'm just wondering why AC3 plays in the bedroom. Isn't the only difference in the decoding between the 2 that DTS has one additional speaker and even with AC3 you need 5 speakers but it still plays on an old 13" TV. It would seem that AC3 shouldn't play either. I thought that for the movie to play in the bedroom I would need to check AC3 (so I can enjoy AC3 on the av rig) and include checking the box for 2 ch for the bedroom. But thats not necessary. just wondering why! Regards...

4. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Im pretty sure that the TV can take the AC3 5 channel audio and play it as 2 channel, but I know none of my tv's will play the DTS audiotrack at all. I have a Sony 34" widescreen that I just picked up and that won't even play the DTS track but through my reciever it works on any TV, its a bit of a mystery to me but im sure there are some people here who might know exactly why. But AC3 gives me the flexibility to play it anywhere and it still sounds great to me. Thats why I use it and only that.

5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

The audio specification for DVD-Video requires a mandatory audio format be present before any optional audio format is added. A optional audio format like DTS should only added as an additional audio format when a mandatory audio format is present.

Mandatory
    NTSC
    AC3 Dolby Digital or LPCM
    PAL/SECAM
    AC3 Dolby Digital or LPCM or MPEG-1 or MPEG-2

In other words, a disc that has only DTS audio doesn't follow the audio specification for DVD-Video and should not be made. I'm not saying it can't be made, but should not be made. You will just get a disc that will not play audio on most DVD players unless they have a DTS receiver connected.
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdvideo/dvdvid_audenc.htm
    http://www.robertsdvd.com/video-audio.html

6. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi Veblin:

thanks for that info. This makes perfect sense as to the reason a backup will not play in a standalone environment with only a dts format available. Till I get a dual layer recorder and prices for dual layer media come down AC3 will be my exclusive format of choice to help keep video compression at a minimum...regards