1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink audio question

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by orion250, May 5, 2007.

1. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I am trying to backup a movie called "Hard". Within Shrink, it shows the following info under the Audio section. My question is do I need each of these or can I just use (1) of the 2-ch English to save more space for the main title. Also, I've noticed that many movies include both the 2-ch and the 5.1-ch settings. Do I need both or can I uncheck one of these settings to save space for the main title. Does anyone know what the "Unspecified" one is or if it is even needed?

1. AC3 2-ch Unspecified 39 MB
    2. AC3 2-ch English 141 MB
    3. AC3 2-ch English 141 MB
    4. AC3 2-ch English 141 MB

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

My guess is the "unspecified" being the smallest file is probably for extras or special features....if the listed audio is all that is on the disc I would think that it is not surround sound, but only stereo. I would keep all the audio except the unspecified track, unless you are keeping the extras.

3. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Thanks LOCO, I will keep all audio settings. The main title is at about 84% compression which is not that bad without keeping any of the extras except the menus. I just like keeping that compression percentage as high as possible for better video quality while eliminating the unnecessary junk. If the comp % is much below 80%, I use VOBblanker to split it up into 2 discs.

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

If you are really concerned about the compression you really should look into a peach of a program called DVD Rebuilder...it handles the high compression and the output will put the rest to shame. The best thing is it is free, the worst is it takes a while to accomplish its tasks. It comes highly recommended unless you like the schedules bathroom breaks while changing discs. LOL

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Orion250
    I agree with LOCOENG on the Rebuilder. I use it all the time and view movies on a large screen TV. Always high quality with no problems with the movie jumping from compression errors.

On movies with the 5.1, I suggest keeping it over the other tracks. The DTS is usually larger and takes special equipment. The 5.1 will play properly on 2 channel hardware, but that's not true of 2 channel on 5.1 hardware. Just something to think about. In shrink you can expand the titles and select audio for different segments; just in case you weren't aware. My best advice is don't remove audio unless you're sure what it goes to. DTS and foreign tracks are easy.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  6. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I usually remove the foreign audio tracks but wasn't sure why there were duplicates in 2-channel mode like I noticed in this one movie.

1. AC3 2-ch Unspecified 39 MB
    2. AC3 2-ch English 141 MB
    3. AC3 2-ch English 141 MB
    4. AC3 2-ch English 141 MB

Thanks guys for your help, I will check out DVD Rebuilder. I like VOBblanker for the episodic discs and for splitting a movie up into 2 discs to avoid the compression. You can never have enough in your software arsenal.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

In a case where you have 3 tracks the same size, I'd suggest checking the titles separately and keeping the audio you want for each. In Full Disc you can expand the titles and highlight and check each separately. In re-author you can check the audio under compression settings once you've dragged a title to the left and have it highlighted.

Well said. ;)