1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink Backup

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by needdjim, May 7, 2004.

1. needdjim

needdjim Guest

When I select Backup, a dialog window appears but does not contain the target drive as an option to select. Only a hard drive folder and image recorder are available. Nero 5 is installed on my system as well as Shrink. Is the guide for Shrink incorrect?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Do you have a DVD burner in your computer? If not, that may be the reason it is not shown.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  3. needdjim

needdjim Guest

My system is a Pentium IV 2.2GHz, 1GB RDRAM, 120MB hard drive, Windows XP Home Edition with SP/1, a CD-RW drive and a DVD-R recorder.

4. grogey

grogey Guest

What you need to do is before selecting your file or disk.......

Open DVD Shrink.
    Select Edit.
    Click on Preferences from the drop down menu.
    Select File I/O tab.
    Check the box that says "Enable Burning With Nero".

You currently haven't got your burning function enabled.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Also, make sure that Nero is familiar with your DVD recorder as this is normally the error that you would get if it is not. Nero will automatically default to an Image burner if a writer has not been selected.

6. needdjim

needdjim Guest

Thanks. But I have the box checked to use Nero Burning Rom. Yet the option to select the DVD Recorder is not presented after selecting Backup.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Have you gone into nero and made sure it is actually picking up your burner?

8. woof811

woof811 Regular member

iff nero 5 cant see your burner then maybe think of upgrading to nero 6 .
    i think nero 6 will definatly pick up your burner .

9. woof811

woof811 Regular member

find out what version off nero you have then goto nero hompage and check that the nero you have works with your burner .
    because when new burners come out nero updates to a new version to accomodate this .

10. Buik

Buik Regular member

Seems to me that you are going to have to let Shrink do its thing before you can select a burner. Let it create the folder. Right now your DVD-R Drive is being used to read the disc. After you process the disc into a folder, it can do the burning.

11. needdjim

needdjim Guest

I'm using Nero 5.5.10.42 which does see my DVD Recorder. In fact,,I save movies to a folder, then use Nero to burn the resultant files to a DVD-R which runs perfectly. The Nero compatibility chart shows that my DVD recorder is compatible starting with Nero 5.5.6.

12. grogey

grogey Guest

Strange, very strange indeed - I just checked what happens with my DVD Shrink - and the only time I don't have the ability to select the burner drive as my destination is when Nero burning is disabled in preferences.

A few other things to consider though:
    1]What version of DVD Shrink are you using? Make sure you download and install latest edition.

2]Make sure you disable the IMAPI CD Burning Service in XP. This has been known to cause conflict with other programs before.

1)Go to Start and select Control Panel.
    2)Click on Administrative Tools and then select Services.
    3)Right click on the IMAPI Cd Burning Service and in the dialog box click on the drop down menu for Start-up Type and select disable.
    [​IMG]

3)Have you got any tweaking programs such as WinXP Manager installed on your system? Many of these have a check box to disable your burner drive etc.
    Check your settings and make sure that you gaven't got it disabled.

4Again in any tweak programs or XP settings make sure you haven't got your drive "hidden".

_note numerical system in Australia is now compliant with rest of world
    _
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIVE A GOOD LIFE
    Aim for Charm not Perfection
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2004
  13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Great points - 1 to 5, just curious what happended to point 3 lol, or whether they dont use the same numeral system in Australia as they do in the UK ;-)

14. grogey

grogey Guest

lol - well it was late.....or should I say early in the morning. Brain drain was the cause I'd say!!

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - it happens me all the time. In fact, there are a few dodgy posts made by me in the safety valve when i was drunk, Afterdawn can thank itself that i wasnt able to turn the computer on (i did try though) last night in my drunken state.....

16. grogey

grogey Guest

Ah yes well that happens.......don't know if this happens in the UK but out here guys drinking will see a not so attractive female and call her a drunk barometer - when she starts to look good, you've had too much to drink.

Well now you have your own barometer - when you can't push that button you have definitely had too much to drink LOL. Mind you in that state why bother with the button? How'd ya see the words on screen? hehehe

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol yeah, i dont think i couldve quite managed to locate the keyboard either. The Safety Valve is full of such posts from me :) - only have to Search for a thread called Sexy Oriphus and you'll get an idea of what i mean :)

I think Loaded put it best, in reference to me lol:
    Yeah the Drink Barometer with an ugly woman works a treat.....;-)

18. shooter

shooter Member

"When I select Backup, a dialog window appears but does not contain the target drive as an option to select. Only a hard drive folder and image recorder are available. Nero 5 is installed on my system as well as Shrink. Is the guide for Shrink incorrect?"
    Then he says..
    "My system is a Pentium IV 2.2GHz, 1GB RDRAM, 120MB hard drive, Windows XP Home Edition with SP/1, a CD-RW drive and a DVD-R recorder."
    Is it just me, or do I only see one DVD device on this computer? If so, and DVD Shrink is using IT to decode the disk that is IN it, it would not be ABLE to send the decoded files to the destination drive, because it is IN USE..Right? Wouldn't you need a DVD-ROM drive as well, to do what he wishes to do? Just wondering is all??
    Thanks,
    Shooter==>>

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Shooter, i dont always want to burn a disc after compressing it. In fact, i never do. Simply disable the Burn With Nero option and do it manually.....

20. shooter

shooter Member

Oriphus,
    I agree..I often rip them onto a hard drive, and burn them in groups at a later time.
    Perhaps I misunderstood his question..?? It sounded to ME like he wanted to be able to bypass putting the backup onto his hard drive, and send it straight to his burner..?? Which is why I said if that IS what he wished to do, wouldn't HE need a DVD Rom, AND a burner to do this with? I mean, as far as I know, you can not rip and burn with the same drive, (at the same time)..right?
    And he said this later on..
    "Thanks. But I have the box checked to use Nero Burning Rom. Yet the option to select the DVD Recorder is not presented after selecting Backup."
    Which is what lead me to believe he wanted to rip AND burn at the same time, with only ONE drive in his machine. This option would not be available to him would it, if he were using only one drive to do both operations?
    Thanks,
    Shooter==>>