1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink better than X-copy express????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Apoch, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Apoch

Apoch Guest

First, I wanted to say I LOVE this forum. There were tons of questions I had about the DVD backup world that bystanders were unable to inform me of. Now, the world is mine.

Anyways, I've started using X-Copy Xpress about 8 months ago. The copies were good enough - with the exception of the "Backup" flash screen. However, recently I discovered DVD Shrink and Decryptor. These work great - with ONE expection....for the dual layered backups, there seems to be more pixelation in the compression than with XCOPY.

I would love to move further away from XCOPY, but I am weary of the quality of the copy in DVDSHRINK.

Any suggestions on tweaking the settings so I can get a more perfect copy???!!!

Thanks for the help!

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

I have Xcopy Platinum and don't even use it.Shrink works much better and has more options.Do you use the deep analysis and adaptive error compensation quality features.Also remove as much of the unwanted extras or do the movie only to get the best quality.I wouldn't even put Xcopy in the same class as Shrink.Check out some of the guides for Shrink start with these.
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm
    You might want to post this type of question in the Newbie or Shrink section.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

As wild77 stated, Shrink lets you do an edited version of the dvd movie. However there are many members that like X Copy Express because it is a one click backup program.
    Apoch, just for your information, do a search for 321Gone. Its a patch that gets rid of the splash screen at the beginning of the X copy playbacks. Makes that warning go away. Good luck.

Jerry

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r for advanced users*

5. guitmet

guitmet Member

I believe clonedvd 2 along with anvdvd 4 are the best back up programs, I haved used about five other programs and none of them can match the quality of clonedvd and anydvd

6. Apoch

Apoch Guest

I have a trial verison of CloneCD2...I didn't see any options for compression.

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Think about it people ... are we talking about backing up cds or dvds?

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You need Clonedvd2 not Clonecd2. Clonedvd2 does automatic compression and shows a color bar line at bottom right. To get more towards the green end(closer to 100%) you need to remove unwanted items like trailers and ads.

Jerry

9. Apoch

Apoch Guest

you're good....I did not know that. So the color bar in Clond "DVD" [corrected 'cause I know flip218 is hawking this] is similar to the color bar in SHRINK. It still seems like shrink has more options. Is that correct?

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Flip218 is one of the better mods on here and is just trying to keep the forum in order. So I would advise you don't look for a problem in what he states.
    As to your last question: I don't really feel that Shrink has more options than Clonedvd. In my opinion Clone is better, has excellent quality backups, still retains menu function if you do edit, and to me seems easier to use. This statemant takes nothing away from Shrink and you sure can't beat the price(FREE). But Clone is my first choice for all my backups and hasn't let me down or given me any trouble with any backup in well over a year now.
    As is said before just my opinion.

Jerry

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, I found a long time ago, it isn't nice to mess with mods. Flip was doing his job and didn't appear to be hawking software. I don't get the impression he is a minion of SlySoft. So, I'd heed Jerry's advice, if I were you.

As far as XPress and Shrink, I can name better apps than both, but that's a topic for another thread. Both these have their advantages. XPress is a one button transcoder. Keeping it up to date means running it with an app like AnyDVD (driver decrypter) running in the background. The program was made for DVD5 and new encryption systems are now on the market as well. The same goes for DVD Shrink as far as decryption is concerned. Shrink was set up to use DVD5 and dual layer media. Xpress records both movie only and full disc. Shrink has editing capabilities in Re-author as well as the full disc settings. One can even record movie only with a functional menu in full disc if they know how. Shrink has the advantage of being able to function better at higher compression than it did before. The quality settings in 3.2 make that possible. Shrink has a slight edge here, but not a great one. Both record a decent backup. The 321 gone patch and others for 321 software can be found at http://www.dvdripforums.co.uk . So, if one wants to do some editing, go with Shrink. If they want ease of operation, go with Express. If you need dual layer ability, only Shrink works of the 2. If price is a factor, Shrink is free. Me, I've owned both and moved on to better.

CloneDVD2, decent and works at moderate compression levels. There are better, but you'll pay more in money or time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  12. Apoch

Apoch Guest

A little uptight are we...I was referring to hawking the thread, not the software. Is it even possible to hawk software?

Anyways - I appreciate the opinions guys. Flip, I'm sure you're not upset, but just in case.."my bad." I don't want brobear ot Jerry747 coming after me...lol!

Thanks for the help.

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its not my job to go after anyone LOL. Thats what we have the mods for. I was just trying to pass on some FRIENDLY advice. No problem on my end. I never try to police the forum or enforce the rules. I will state the rules and make friendly suggestions about them but thats as far as I go. Sorry if I came across too strong. I just think we have excellent mods on here that should get the respect they deserve. Later.

Jerry

14. brobear

brobear Guest

I concur. The membership is for help and the mods are the cops. They help out a lot besides their policing duties. Some of them even have a sense of humor. So I guess some mods can be human (when not on a forum, joking). LOL I'm much too nice to go after anyone, especially when I haven't been provoked.

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't think I'd want to mess with your bear in the sig.

Jerry