1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink closes altogether

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Ausssie1, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Ausssie1

Ausssie1 Member

G'day all, when trying to backup wether main movie or full disc shrink closes completely.
    Any idea's
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Al.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Ausssie1 ,
    Welcome to the forum. Are you ripping the DVD to the HD first w/ DVDFAB HD Decrypter? Try that and report back if that helps.

DVDFAB HD Decrypterhttp: //www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

3. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Ausssie1

Sometimes this happens when you have shrink setup to auto-burn the video files to disk using nero (older versions). Try unchecking the burn with nero option in shrink's preferences section and have the video files saved to your hard drive, if all goes well you can then manually burn the files to disk using nero.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you click backup, set shrink to save the video files as a hard disk folder to a location on you hard drive for manually burning to disk later.

[​IMG]

If shrink is still closing/droping out, then it could be a copy protection issue that shrink can't do anything about. In this case try ripping with any of these free apps as suggested which can handle newer movie releases (the links are provided below).

[bold]DVDFab decrypter
    Ripit4me[/bold]

Note: ripit4me is nolonger supported, but still worth trying.

DVDFab will allow you to rip the whole disk to your hard drive or just the main flick, you can then use shrink to open the files with and complete the process as you have been.
    http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=HDDECRYPTER

Ripit4me is a complete all in one solution, it uses shrink, DVD decrypter and FixVTS in a 1-click mode to produce a backup.
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RipIt4Me-Download-44816.html

Cheers.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Both John and Car.Mike mentioned decryption. Shrink alone can't bypass the copy protections on a lot of the newer releases with ARccOS, especially those with large numbers of bogus files. We need to know a bit more about what you've been doing. First off, what operating system are you using? Is this something that just started happening or are you new to using Shrink? Is it with one movie or any you attempt? What is the title of the DVD that's giving the problem? What decryption software are you using? If using an external decryption program, what stage of the process is Shrink closing down at (initial analysis, transcoding, or after it's started the burn process? Is the program simply closing down, or are you getting an error message?

5. Ausssie1

Ausssie1 Member

Hi Guy's, Computer is an Acer 2.6 40hdd with 20 free and Win. XP and Nero. On my old comp. Shrink works fine with Nero apart from taking 8 hours to do a movie.
    The newer comp. freezes momentarily then closes when the backup button is pressed.
    Also have DVD decrytper.
    Thanks for any help.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

When you click Backup Shrink should have done the intitial analysis (if completed the files should be okay as far as DVD compliance) and the only thing that Shrink is supposed to do at that point is open the Backup window to present the backup options for your selection. Then you would click OK to start the transcoding. How much RAM does your PC have? Since it appears to be an internal function of the Shrink software (before you click OK and Shrink starts to work on the movie files), it sounds as though the program may be corrupted, assuming you have no other computer problems. I'd try deleting Shrink and doing a clean installation with a fresh download of the program installer. To be on the safe side I would also run the AV ware before doing the install to make sure there are no viruses and adware interfering with the programming.

BTW, if DVD Decrypter is your only other decryption program, I'd suggest you pay attention to some of John's recommendations on software.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  7. Ausssie1

Ausssie1 Member

I appreciate all the support. I really do.
    But what I do not understand is my old computer has no problems apart from taking 7 to 8 hours to do a movie.
    OK I take John's advise and download Ripit4Me but I cannot open it.
    I have never had a problem before even if it was compressed.
    I then download the latest Winzip.
    Now I need a degree to work how to work out Winzip so I can open Ripit4me so I can use Shrink so I can copy a movie.
    Apart from taking 8 hours to do a movie, the old dunger will do it
    with out a hitch.
    Tis getting very frustrating putting it lightly.
    Thanks all, leave it with me and I will see if I can work it out and let you know how I go.
    Much appreciated.

Al.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

For archive tools I prefer WinRAR. All you have to do is right click a zip, rar, or whatever and theres the option to unpack the file in place or you can direct it to open into another folder. I find it a lot easier then WinZip. Just a personal preference.

If the files are opening in Shrink with the quick analysis and the program is closing when you enter Backup, I doubt decryption software is the issue. If the files aren't DVD compliant, Shrink wouldn't complete the analysis. If the analysis is complete, and the program closes when you enter Backup, Shrink is closing before you even start to transcode. The Backup window is for allowing you to set the transcoding and burn options. Only when you enter OK does the program kick in and start the transcoding. If there was a problem with bypassing the copy protection, you'd have a problem with the quick analysis or during the transcoding, not when the program is giving you the backup options.