1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink crashing computer!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by vwsport80, Jun 6, 2007.

1. vwsport80

vwsport80 Regular member

Hello all,
    I've been using DVDFab Decrypter and Shrink (with VOBblanker when needed) for quite some time without issue. Now, I can rip fine and Shrink analyzes okay, but when it starts to burn (through DVD Decrypter), it crashes the whole computer (making a coaster). I don't know what else you all need to know. I'm running some pretty thorough virus scanners and whatnot as everything seems to be acting up (my firewall was shutting down right after booting). Help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey vwsport80
    Is this a laptop or desktop? If a laptop using a cooling pad?
    Try cleaning out the pc - open the case and blow out all the dust. If it's a laptop try some canned air in the airways.

If you haven't recently run a disc defrag and registry cleaner. Here's a good free one - ccleaner. Use the issues and cleaner options.

Anything change pc wise since this started happening?

Here's an online virus you might want to try if you haven't already - trendmicro housecalls

3. vwsport80

vwsport80 Regular member

Sorry for the long wait. I've been crazy busy. It's a desktop and I don't think anything has changed recently. I'll try the reg cleaner and the virus scan and post back. Thanks for the reply.

4. binkie7

Not a problem
    Yeah keep us posted - something is going on with the pc.
    If after you run house calls and things are still acting up check out the virus section at afterdawn and post a Hijack this log along with what's happening w/ the pc.

5. vwsport80

vwsport80 Regular member

Okay, I ran the reg cleaner and that seemed to work fine. Then I tried to run the scan. Once it starts looking for spyware it stops at 43%. The bar keeps moving around and the time continues, but it won't go past 43%. I tried twice and it did the same thing.

BTW it found three spywares before it stopped. I ran Ad-aware and Spybot and neither one found anything. Ideas?

6. lhilton

lhilton Guest

I've had REAL GOOD LUCK with BullGuard antivirus...all the rest stink...having served in a Gateway Technical Support Call Center several years ago I have talked to thousands of folks that are being eaten alive with viruses,Trojans and spyware...

McAffee and Norton are designed for the masses and just don't seem to have the moxy to protect computers in a way that can let you sleep at night...

On the other hand BullGuard not only provides the protection needed but their Technical Support frequently replies in minutes if issues do arise...

As you can see I am sold on these folks and you might download their freeby for a thirty day trial and see for yourself... bullguard.com
    :>/

7. binkie7

You can look up bullguard and see if they have a free online scan.

Are you using a wireless connection when doing housecalls? If you are try connecting directly to the router w/ an ethernet cable.

Try this forum at aD - Virus & Spyware Problems.
    There are stickies there for some things to try and running & posting a Hijack This log.

8. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

This happened to me once when I had Nero. Ever since I uninstalled Nero Shrink has acted normal.

9. vwsport80

vwsport80 Regular member

No, I don't have wireless or a router. I'll just keep trying things.

I use to use Nero to burn with Shrink but it started to freak out, so I've been having it burn an ISO with DVD Decrypter. I use Nero to burn CDs. If I take it off, what do you guys use to burn CDs? I know it's a dumb question, but you get use to something and don't look into other things. Thanks everyone.

10. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

I use iTunes, and or CDBurnerXP http://www.cdburnerxp.com both are freeware. I don't use nero anymore it causes too many problems slows my system down, and it really bloated.

11. vwsport80

vwsport80 Regular member

I took Nero off, restarted the computer just in case, and tried to burn. It still crashed. What the heck?

12. binkie7

Check out the virus section at aD (see post above). From your posts sounds like you have more going on that may or may not do w/ Nero esp since your firewall was shutting down.

13. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

that true binkie7