1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink crashing

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by fdc2k, Feb 10, 2007.

1. fdc2k

fdc2k Member

Has anyone else had Shrink crash while trying to analyse or encrypt a disc.

I start a copy, walk away & come back only to find my computer is now off!

Am I the only one with this prob?

THANX!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi fdc2k
    One thing that could be causing this is the dvd you are trying to back up - copy protection. Shrink hasn't been updated in a long while so one reason it will crash.

Which movie are you doing?

Try ripping w/ DVDFab Decrypter 1st then opening the files in Shrink.

Or use RipIt4Me which also uses Shrink.
    All free and give Shrink the help it needs to do the newer stuff.

3. fdc2k

fdc2k Member

Thanks for the quick response.
    I'm doing "Guardian" now but it also happened with "One Night With The King"
    I ripped it with Decrypter 1st, Shrink would not recognize the files.
    I did it with DVDFab Decrypter, same result.

Then I ripped the Decrypter rip with DVDFab, Shrink recognized it but then the computer shut down after about 50% into the analyzing phase.

I've verified my power settings & I have them at "never shut down"

I'm so confused.

Frank

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try using Ripit4me as binkie suggested.

To see if it's the newer encryptions causing the problems. try copying a DVD that does not have it.... One you already copied is a good test.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  5. binkie7

Ok - The Guardian has Macrovisions protection on it - One Night w/ the King Shrink should handle by it's lonesome.

Are you using the lastest DVDFab - 3.0.8.?

Give RipIt4Me at shot too.

The pc shutting down can also be a heat issue & Shrink is also pretty cpu intensive so if you haven't very recently do a disc cleanup and defrag.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

No idea how old this PC is or the environment, but dust in the PC can be a cause of overheating and shutdown. Older PCs need dusting occasionally.

Shrink or any decryption and encoding software should stop and list errors instead of crashing. A crash often indicates a lack of system resources or a system problem.

A quick way to see if it's the system crashing under stress is to download and install a small test program named OCCT. It loads the CPU to full capacity and maintains it. It won't bother a healthy system, but one with problems will crash. A program like Speedfan can be used to monitor the system to watch out for heat problems during the OCCT test. These programs are freeware available off the net.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

fdc2k
    fasfrank and binkie are right about the copy protection, but that should be a problem apart from the crashing. Shrink and DVD Decrypter by themselves just can't cut it alone with the newer and heavier copy protection being added. They need the RipIt4Me to go along with them. So far it's doing a better job than the retail offerings. http://www.ripit4me.org

8. fdc2k

fdc2k Member

Thank you all for your input. I was able to copy "Guardian" after I freed up some resources and put a fan near the cpu for extra cooling.
    I think it was a heat issue.

Again, you guys ROCK!!!

9. binkie7

You're welcome fdc2k

I'd open up the case and clean it out too like pacman suggested. The inside can get pretty dusty. Canned air does a good job.

Do the disc cleanup and defrag too. A heavy fragmented hard drive will also put more strain on the processor.

Happy Burning!

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

fdc2k
    You're welcome on the assist. Glad to see you got it working, even if with a workaround.

Besides canned air, a reversed vacuum works good for blowing dust out of cases, if that's needed (and you have a vac that works that way). I keep the canned air too. You don't want to put too much pressure on fragile parts.