1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink, Decrypter and Win98SE Question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Grampaw, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I have a Win98SE platform I've been sucessfully backing up DVDs with using various 321 studio apps since Jan 2003 (21 months now).

I also have a WinXP pro platform. In Mar 2004 I finally got around to trying the 321 studio apps on. I expected problems, had problems, decided to bail, and loaded Nero, Shrink, and Decrypter. With these 3 apps I can do anything! Great stuff.

So now I'm thinking, why not put Shrink and Decrypter (no Nero though) on that Win98 machine. The file system is FAT32, and my question is how, or even can, I get Shrink and Decrypter to work with FAT32?

It appears both Shrink and Decrypter do work by using something called a MDS file with the ISO image (or images) to handle this problem, although the exact procedure is not realclear. Then I see something about mounting an image using Daemon Tools - is that necessary or even relevant to backuping (i.e. burning) a DVD?

I'm pretty good a figuring things out myself, however, it would be quicker if someone could give me a headstart with a just a general procedure to follow. I want to use decrypter for DVD-5s on one disk, and either Decrypter > Shrink > Decrypter, or Shrink > Decrypter, for DVD-9s on one disk.

Thanks in Advance...

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I believe Shrink 3.2 will split ISO's on a FAT32 system in order to utilize Decrypter for burning. I don't have a FAT32 system so I haven't tried it personally.

3. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Okay - I'll answer my own question, since I should have tried it first before asking.

Loaded Decrypter 3.5.1.0 and Shrink 3.2 on my Win98SE platform.

Ran Decrypter first with a DVD-5. Used Mode ISO read then ISO write. The MDS file is the only file that came up when I browsed for a file for the ISO write step, so that's what I selected. Burned the disk and it plays fine on my home entertainment system DVD player.

Next I tried Shrink with a DVD-9. Shrink analyzed and gave the usual compression options. It also gave me an out put option to write an ISO file and burn with Decrypter. So that's what I selected. Shrink did it's thing and then opened up Decrypter with the MDS file already selected, ready for burning. Wow! How cool is that!

So the bottom line is that using Decrypter and Shrink on a Win98SE platform is truly a simple "one-click" operation - my 82 year old mother-in-law who has early Alzheimer's could figure this stuff out...

Looks the 321 Studio applications on this Win98SE platform are now history.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Good to know :)