1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink/Decrypter in DMA mode

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kooah, Oct 17, 2004.

1. kooah

kooah Member

Hi:

I have been sucessfully burning several DVD's using The Shrink/Decrypter, and my new external NEC ND3500A 16X DVD-rewriter. It first took about 3 hrs to encode/burn using the orginaly firmware(v2.16). Thanks to randomwalk101, who sent me an updated firmware that cut the total time to about 1.5 hrs. After reading all the threads here, I found out my 2nd (internal)hdd, that used to store all ISO files, was not in DMA mode. I tried to follow the Microsoft guide, that is, to toggle between DMA and PIO, but nothing change. At the advanced settings display, it shows "Device 0(I assume this is my primary hdd), current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2. But in Device 1(I assume this is my 2nd hdd), current transfer mode: PIO mode". Toggling Device 1 wouldn't do anything...always in PIO mode. I checked with Nero6 info tool, and found out the DMA mode is OFF. If Microsoft's guide can't toggle the change, what else could I do, and how? Please help! Hope by doing this could cut down the total time more. Thanks.

2. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

start
    control panel
    system
    hardware
    device manager
    click plus sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    on the drop down right click secondary IDE channel
    click uninstall
    reboot
    you should have both DMA enabled when completed.

Please wait till a mod confirms this. Its been awhile since I did this and I want to make sure this is right.

3. kooah

kooah Member

Thanks! It works. Now all my HDD's are in Ultra DMA mode 5 and my optical drives in ultra DMA mode 2. I'll burn some DVD soon, see whether it'll cut down more of the total time.

4. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Whew,glad it worked.