1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink/Decrypter was working... now making coasters

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Momof2, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Momof2

Momof2 Member

Hi - I'm a total newbie, and have only gotten as far as I have due to ScubaPete's guide on using Shrink and Decrypter together! **Thanks, Pete** Great programs, great guide, and boy do I wish I had known about them BEFORE I spent the $$ on XCopy Platinum. Oh well. Anyway, I've made about six successful backups that play in my PC and standalone - but suddenly I've made two coasters that only work in the PC. They freeze in the standalone player right after the FBI warning screens, and I can hear the player cycling back and forth trying to read the disc. Both of these burns were made from the same ISO file - did something go wrong with the ripping/encoding? I didn't change any settings.

I'm using: Dell Dimension 8300, with a Teac DVD+RW DV-W58E, with 1GB DDR, serial ATA HD with buffer RAM (got all that from my husband... mostly Greek to me!)

Beth

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks for the kind words Beth, you made my day -

Now as to your "freezing" - have you been using the "Good Stuff" (media) when you're burning ??

Pete

3. Momof2

Momof2 Member

[bold]Now as to your "freezing" - have you been using the "Good Stuff" (media) when you're burning ?? [/bold]

<<Embrarrassed silence>>

OK, I admit I'm using whatever I had in the house from BEFORE I found these forums - TDK, to be specific. I'll be getting rid of them as soon as I get my hands on some good discs, but thought I could at least start learning on these. They have been working up till now. I just tried burning another backup of the same disc that's been giving me problems, starting over frm the very beginning, copying a new ISO file to the HD. It did the same thing in the standalone player. It's an episodic disc, #4 of the X Files season 3, and I've had no trouble with discs 1, 2 and 3. I guess this is all part of the learning process, but it sure is frustrating!

Beth

4. chadams

chadams Guest

My question to you old pro's, I have both DVDX Copy as well as Shrink, both work (DVDX only burns DVD+RW's and not my DVD +R's, can't figure it) I do like shrink better though. Now since both burn good copies do I really need DVD decrypter for some reason?
    Is this a needed addition or a stand alone that compliments shrink?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys,

Beth, Thats a good computer (we like lots of RAM to handle the big video files) As far as being embarrassed, don't be. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? Its way too easy to grab the cheap stuff, it looks just like the expensive stuff sitting right next to it. I've done the same thing and made my share of coasters.
    Before you get to deep into it, make sure to buy two or three High Quality DVD +RW discs. Now these discs only burn at slow speeds but you can use them over and over which makes them great troubleshooting tools.

I kind of suspect that your source disc (#4) might be causing the problem. With the +R/W discs you should be able to use the process of elimination to identify the problem without making coasters.

If the problem goes away with the +R/W disc then you are looking at a blank media issue.

If the problem is still there with episode disc #4 but not the other episodes then the problem is the source disc.

If the problem is still there with any of the source discs then there is a hardware or software problem.

You can do all this checking without making coasters by using the +R/W blank media.

chadams,
    Shrink is a great little program that can remove the encryption, compress and allow you to remove things, etc.
    It cannot burn anything to blank DVD media.
    You need a program like DVD Decrypter or Nero on your computer. Shrink can utilize the burn engines of either of these programs to burn your disc when you make the correct settings.

On occasion, Shrink will encounter a movie it cannot decrypt. DVD Decrypter is a potent program that can handle these situations so it is well worth keeping, even if you don't need it to burn with.
    There are other ways to approach undecryptable movies, like opening it with your media player first, then pausing it and opening Shrink.

Actually... I just wanted to type "undecryptable" :D

Happy burning,
    Frank

6. Momof2

Momof2 Member

Frank,

Great idea - can you give me a recommendation on high quality +RWs? That seems to be a pretty sound idea for all my burning to start with, until I know what I'm doing. I guess I can keep the ISO file on the HD, and if it works OK on the RW, then just re-burn to the +R disc. It's a bit more work, but burning's not the longest part of the process, so it's not that bad. Speaking of burning speed, are the Ritek G04 8X good discs, or should I stick to the 4X ones? Are there more errors at a faster burn rate? I'd like to be able to use the faster burn speed since the drive is capable of doing it, but not if it's riskier.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
    Beth

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Beth,

I get my media from supermedia.com. here's a link to some +RW. Two or three is all you need. I would go for the Verbatim at the bottom of the list. They are expensive but worth it.

http://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/dvdplusrw-media.html

You have an 8X burner so why not make it work for you? 8X is more expensive and the results will be 7-8 minute burns at 8X or 14 to 16 minute burns at 4X.
    I think after you started with 5 or 10 4x burns without problems, then it would be time to experiment with the 8X stuff. Or do like I do and just go for it!

Cheers,
    Frank

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Very nice post there Frank :D)

Beth,

If you are just backing up an episode disc then continue on -

When doing episodes I like to put at least 2 discs on a single DVD disc. For that I use either DVD Shrink in the "re-Author" mode OR DVD2One in the "Join" mode. I like DVD2One so much I bought the program and it has been more than worth it. As for picture quality, I find that the vast majority of episodes I've done are small DVD-5's anyway so putting 2 on a single disc still has excellent quality :p)

cheers,

Pete

9. Momof2

Momof2 Member

OK, I'm ordering the Verbatim 4X +RW discs, and still need to order the Ritek +R's as well. I've checked Meritline's site, and I only find Ritek G04 listed in -R format, not +R. The Riteks in +R don't have a number at all, just the speed and case or spindle packs. How do I know what to order? I've seen a couple of posts where people said to be sure not to buy the G03 type discs, so it sounds like there's good and bad even in the Ritek line. Is there a part number to look for on the +R discs?

Thanks again for all the info!
    Beth

10. Momof2

Momof2 Member

Frank,

I just went back to Supermedia's site and re-checked the Verbatim discs - they're the DataLifePlus type. Are those OK or should it only say Verbatim? This media stuff is just as confusing as the software/hardware/firmware stuff! (And I'm always the one telling my husband not to make every decision brain surgery.... glad he's not watching over my shoulder right now!)

Beth

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(heh, heh)

Well we won't tell Beth -

The Ritex that you are decribing on Mertline sounds like the stuff I use - I give it the "ScubaPete" Blessing as I do the Verbatim Datalife Plus -

"Youse such a good Newbie shopper."
    Makes old ScubaPete's heart go thumpety, thump :p)

cheers Beth, you're on your way -

Now here's something for you to think about - it is people like you who make this site work too - You've seen how we work and you see we have fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - they'll appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

You can then Welcome them into the Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're not having problems to solve -

You'll find us over there, by the water cooler, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Pete

12. michigan

michigan Guest

I use the -R media from meritline one pack came as Ridata the other as an unbranded I like meritline but you really have to read the page before you order.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The stuff I order is - Ritek +R, Meritline product number for the 100 pack is - 104-007-100-fs

Good luck,

ScubaPete

14. michigan

michigan Guest

Don't you have problems with compatability on your DVD players using the +R media?

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've used +R on eight different players, all different makes, with only one that wouldn't play them but that player wouldn't play burned discs at all qanyway :)

16. Momof2

Momof2 Member

Pete,

That number at Meritline is for the 2.4x discs - is that what you recommend? I was hoping to start out with 4x and eventually (when I know what I'm doing) spring for the 8x.

As for helping others out... when I can do that, I'll know I've made it to the big time! I'd love to be able to answer questions some day. The help I've gotten here has made the all difference between total disappointment and heading for success!

Beth

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

So sorry, the 4X is on that same page - it's what I use, the 4X I mean -

Pete