1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink - enhancements!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Juhnny, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

I was wondering if anyone has backed up any dvd's using the enhancement feature's like "Smooth, Max Smooth, Sharp, Max Sharp"? I usually just do "deep analysis" when burning and it takes me about 25 minutes at 8x. The dvd's play flawless on my portable dvd. I do notice how ever on my stand alone that some movies are little choppy every now and then. I was wondering if doing the other enhancements i.e "sharp/smooth" would make a noticable difference? There is a noticable time difference when doing this method. I go from 25 minutes to around an hour. Has anyone experimented with these options and if so what were the results. Worth the time or not!!!

Thanks...

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey juhnny, everyone has their own opinion on the enhancements of dvd shrink. I look at is how important is this backup? Do I want to keep it for a long time? What if I get a huge hd plasma screen? My rule of thumb:the more compression,then the enhancements I use. It all depends on how much time you want to spend on those backups.Now on that choppy stand alone player.That player is telling you something that it does not like the burn. Many issues around here on that.It could be as simple as poor media or burn speed.Slower burn speed likely culprit. Experiment with the enhancements with rw's and see for yourself if there is any noticeable difference.Also try at 4x,that may help.Later

3. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

I tried the Smooth enhancement which took 1hr 6 min to do at 8x. I backed spiderman2 and still noticed some choppyness on the stand alone but again not on my portabel dvd player. I think I will try a burn at 4x to see how that works. If it does not fix the choppyness on the stand alone. I think I will just go get a new dvd player. I can justify it to the wife this way...lol. I have used TDK8x/MEMOREX8x/ and COMP USA4x brand. I know the MEMOREX8x is choppy on the stand alone. I will have to go and check the one's on the TDK's to see if those are choppy. Again none of the media is choppy on the portable dvd just the stand alone. I'll run some more test and see what happens. Thanks for the response.

4. kermetio

kermetio Member

I just burned Spiderman 2 on verbatim dvd+r and played it on my 6 year old panasonic dvd player and it was smooth as can be. By the way I used dvd shrink and am playing it on a 53" widescreen panasonic hdtv.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey juhny,The poor quality media will be magnefied on standalone player. You should be all right with tdk unless you get cmags.I just did spiderman 2 with all enhancements-40 mins, main movie only.4x burn speed.1 with verbatim +4x digital movie and 1 with maxell - 4x yellow top.Hey kermetio, did you use the enhancements?Later

6. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

Ya, it's definetly the MEMOREX media. I tested the TDK's and the COMPUSA one's and they played fine in my stand alone. I did a 4x burn with the MEMOREX. It was not as choppy as 8x but there was some hesitations and some pixelation. The TDK's which were burned at 8x were fine. So I guess I'll have to remember no more MEMOREX.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey juhnny,glad to see the media changed the choppiness problem in the stand alone.Tdk is made by numerous manufacturers as are most blank dvds.Some are ok but another batch may be poor.I have a certain standalone that won't burn anything unless its mcc "mitsubishi". Get a chance, try some media by mcc.I usually check at a store if it is made in japan. If is says taiwan,india,and ireland, i stay away from them.I said earlier burn speed likely culprit, I meant media. I never burn over 4x. sorry about that. I have no issues with 8x but i want to take less of a risk on errors. Later