1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink gives copy protection, Decrypter gives read errors

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Ispy57, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Ispy57

Ispy57 Member

Hello all,
    First post, though been a reader and fan for some time.
    I've been backing up my DVD (all movies) using Shrink and DVD Decrypter for a while now and all has gone well, until now. I've been trying to back-up a DVD of MASH. At first Shrink would not even get through analysis (I think due to scratches) and would say "data error ...cyclic, yada, yada". Took some advice and used Brasso polish. It seemed to help. Shrink got past analysis, but only 50% through encoding and now says "copy protection error. The read failed because the sector is encrypted".
    Read in a thread a couple of days ago, where ScubaPete gave some tips in using Decrypter. I followed those (installed latest version, normal to aggressive Removal method, removed PUO's, etc...). Decrypter only got 7% complete after an hour with 71 read errors and 1496 retries.
    I assumed it would not finish, so canceled it.
    Thoughts?
    Is the disk just scratched too badly?

Two unrelated questions: what is AC3 2-ch unspecified? and why (when using "still image" or unchecking foreign language) do other portions of the DVD increase in size? (trying to strip out unwanted stuff).
    thanks in advance.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I would say the disc is definitely too scratched. You might ask around the video stores in your area as many of them have resurfacing machines there. You might be able to sweet talk one of them into resurfacing your disc for you ;)

3. nightfly3

nightfly3 Member

"and why (when using "still image" or unchecking foreign language) do other portions of the DVD increase in size? (trying to strip out unwanted stuff). "

I've burned roughly 250 DVDs with DVD Shrink. The way it works is as you take out language tracks or reduce extras to still pictures, it's automatically calculating that freed up space towards the main movie. The point is to make it fit within 4.3gb or whatever, so if you delete a french dolby digital track (I always get special pleasure in de-frenchifying my films) it changes the 'automatic' ratio on the main movie up for better quality.

BTW, I'm wondering WHY DVD shrink has these issues on certain systems and not others. I just bought 2 DVD burners for a desktop system, but they have that same copy protection problem, yes I could rip those same discs without any problem with my laptop, but then I have to copy them back to the desktop to burn them so... yeah it's a hassle, how to get around it?

4. Nephilim

It can be many things, most likely the audio for trailers, cut scenes etc.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  5. Nephilim

That just about qualifies as "one of them there mysteries". There are so many hardware/software/system settings differences between individual PC's it's hard to make a generalization as to why this happens.

Do you have the version ASPI layer on both PC's?

6. Ispy57

Ispy57 Member

Thanks Nephilim and Nightfly3.
    I'm now 99% sure it's the disc. Last night I put another disc from the MASH set in and Shrink had no problems with it.

As for size increase: your explanation makes perfect sense.
    As for the AC3-unspecified: is it safe to get rid of it? or might I toss wanted audio?

BTW, I purchased SkipDR and tried it on one my kids CD-Rom games (which had been skipping, freezing up) and it restored it to where it will play without problems now. Tonight I will try the MASH disc.
    Thanks again

7. Nephilim

As a rule I don't touch anything listed as unspecified since they usually don't take up much space. I boogered up one disc by replacing some unspecified video with a still image and it turned out that what I replaced was the trailers before the movie so I had to look at that stupid still image before the movie came on :p