1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrink has shrunk (lets move on)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bill1996, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bill1996

bill1996 Member

I think that shrink is on it's last leg...All the problems recently are not your disk/ scratches/ etc etc...
    We have to realize that there are new copy protections out there and shrink just isn/t doing it any longer...
    Either switch programs for now and stop spending countless hours (like I have ) to try and figue out why shrink is not decrypting any longer.We haven't seen much support but only speculations.I too have used shrink for over a year with no problems.. I know its not my drive / I havent changed media any no I haven't reset any parameters. In the long run if You start tweaking around you'll probally just make it worse!!
    I guess patience is our only recourse and hope peoplew new to burning wont get to discourged.

2. nawlinz

nawlinz Member

I agree, Shrink has been in need of an update to long. But if you use Shrink combined with outher programs such as DVD Decrypter or VOB Blanker. They all seem to work good together, untill someone will make something up to date. I also wanted to know if the the source code for Shrink would be released. That would help allot.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Shrink still works fine for me. I've always used DVD Decrypter with it. So nothing has really changed.

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

If you can rip with Decrypter in file mode, you shouldn't have any problems using Shrink on the files. :)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Shrink never could decrypt everything, but then its feature as a ripper and Decrypter isn't as nearly as important as its uses as a transcoder. Other transcoders don't have the ability to rip and decrypt and no one complains about them. Like flip said you can use DVD Decrypter which is updated often to do the ripping and DVD Shrink as the transcoder. And if you leave the result as an ISO file, then Decrypter can also burn the result. If that's not to your liking then spend a few bucks and pick up AnyDVD (it's better than DVD43) and then Shrink will be able to rip anything that can be ripped.

6. colw

colw Active member

In the words of Mark Twain:

"the report of my death was an exaggeration. I have not been ill"

Similarly pronouncements re the demise of Shrink are somewhat premature.

Shrink is still a great, free program that will handle 99% of the stuff thrown at it.

It may problems with a small minority of movies but that is what Decrypter is for.

It is still an excellent compression and re-authoring program.

Think that often the major problems people seem to have with Shrink are:
    1. Inability to read/understand the guides.
    2. The use of poor quality media.
    3. Poorly maintained/fragmented systems.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

As others have said it's not too important if Shrink can rip. I personally don't use it as a ripper anyway (and I rarely have), but I still use it at some point during nearly every backup I do. It's a great analysis tool to find out how big titles are before I start editing with other software. It does a great job compressing menus before I use DVD-RB/CCE on a movie (DVD-RB doesn't compress menus). There isn't a time when I wouldn't have any use for Shrink in the forseeable future.

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

and best of all it's still free!!!

9. henryting

henryting Regular member

Yes. Let's move on. Shrink seems to be lack behind the technologies. Right now it seems to me that AnyDVD has the most updated version to solved all the protection problems. AnyDVD now is much better than the recent dvd decry. I download it and tried it out and it works like a camp. It can work with any burning software like nero, pinnacles, intercopydvd, RF xcopy, Sonic and even with shrink itself.
    It works in the background so it speeds up the processing speed. I have tried out CLONEDVD2 + AnyDVD and it works perfectly.

These two software are worth investing for.

And for those out there who wished to have the main movie and keep the menu at the same time, these two are the proggy you are looking for. Of course, if you want to keep these two proggy you have to pay a price for it.
    The trial version only allow you to test for less than 21 days.

Good luck and happy burning my friends>>!!!!*******

10. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

What is ment by Transcoder. Can Decrypter be used on any size Disk/file and than use Shrink to compress the file to fit on one disk. Can Decrypter than be used to burn the compressed file.

11. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

I actually really like Shrink and Decrypter, even though I never used Decrypter until I started backing up my PS2 games. It's a really easy program that will work well with Shrink as well, and from what I've heard, it hasn't had any problem with the new update on movies (like RE:Apocalypse, which is what I used it for).

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Transcoder is a term for applications that compress DVD video to size small enough to fit a DVD type 9 onto a recordable DVD type 5 media(4.37 gigs).

Now to answer you other questions:

Probably better than 95% of all moves can be ripped and transcoded by DVD Shrink alone and if you set your output to an ISO image file then DVD Decrypter can burn it.

If for some reason you find a movie that DVD Shrink can't rip then use DVD Decrypter to rip it, and then open it with DVD Shrink to transcode it again to an ISO image, and then use DVD Decrypter to burn it.

If you are backing up a type 5 movie whihc is small enough to fit a type 8 media, then all you have to do is rip it with DVD Decrypter as an ISO image and then burn it with DVD Decrypter.

good luck

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  13. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

@sophocles
    Thanks for the reply I believe they answer my questions. I was told that DVD Ripper was better than DVD Shrink for ripping/decoading. I have a new Lite-on that has a DVD 4x double layer write mode. Using the proper media. Can I use either software or some other To burn the entire DVD-9 .file

14. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

I ment DVD Decrypter not DVD Ripper

15. souljer

souljer Member

@sophocles

Newb here.

Using DVD Shrink, instead of setting the output to an ISO image and then using DVD Decrypter to burn it, can you just set the output to your burner, as it shows in the guide?

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes if you have one of the recommended burning softwares such as Nero that interfaces with DVD Shrink. DVD Decrypter will only burn an ISO file and DVD Shrink doesn't have a built in burner.

17. wild77

wild77 Guest

Shrink still works great for me.I think most of the problems are due to [bold]Operator Error[/bold] and not knowing how to use this software.Shrink combined with DVD Decrypter has done every movie I have wanted to back up.There's always AnyDVD for the newest movies.

18. bill1996

bill1996 Member

No I dont feel that most of the occurrences lately have all been OPERATOR error. Like I stated earlier I have been using shrink over a year now and have burned over 1000 movies. I have always used shrink and only shrink then nero to burn . Well I take that back... Early versions of shrink would not decrypt some movies but as time passed and new versions came available then shrink was the only program I needed along with nero to burn. It's been easy to set up my system (analyaze/encode/ burn) alll in one step/ walk away from my system and return with my back-up done.
    All I was stating when I started this thread was that shrink needs a update to run like it has been doing so in the past.If there isn't going to be one, then instead of bandaiding with small fix's and suggestions (use decrypter/ or use dvd pro)or even complicating matters with (statements like your media is no good or operator error is the cause)then we all need to sit back wait unitl the smoke clears and conclude to what will be the next or best way to go forward.