1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink locks up !!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Dlanky, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

Every time I us this on my home pc, after one or two clicks to open up titles etc. the product locks and I have to go to task manager to clear it. The programme (eventually) says it has closed but I don't think it does. After this everything runs slower. When I eventually reboot I get the windows message saying it is trying to close DVD shrink. I thought it might be because my disc is fairly full but I have recently put in an additional 120gb hard drive and reloaded shrink onto that. Any suggestions anyone???

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Dlanky,
    Since I don't know your system specs. you might try this. Un-install DVDShrink and re-boot 2X and then re-install DVDShrink and see if that helps.
    Before the next burn re-boot and then start w/ Shrink top see if that clears up this. Sounds like the ram is locking up and not releasing but that usually is caused if the chips you are using are different like if one is a 2700 and the other is 3200

3. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

Thanks. I'll give it a go

4. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

Car Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. I have an Athlon 2600 with Ithink 250mb Ram. Any other suggestions?
    Thyanks

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'll chuck in a throwaway comment, it's not heat-related is it ?, what with it being an Athlon. I have a 2800+XP and it hovers around 75C (mine can 'do' 85C i believe, but luckily my case has sensors/lights that scream at me if too hot. I only ask as my temp guage doubles when Shrinking as the CPU is obviously going at it hammers and tongs.

6. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

Creaky,
    It could be. However it locks up fairly early in the process, say 2 minutes. Is it likley to get hot in that time? Also how/where do I enable and display temperature

Thanks

7. creaky

i've used 'motherboard monitor' software in the past if i ever had a motherboard that didn't come with it's own monitoring software. But too much hassle. If your pc is quite new it 'should' hopefully have a readout in the BIOS - there should be a section 'health status' or something similar. Just don't change anything or save anyyhting in there, usually Escape gets you out, or if you're unsure just reset compoota

8. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

Thanks,

I am reasonably confident using and amending the Bios. However once I have found it, is there an option to display in real time. Obviously I can't go to the Bios while shrink is running

9. creaky

ah sorry, wasnt sure how to word that BIOS bit without offending; reason i'm recommending checking the BIOS is just to get a rough guestimate on your current temp. Obviously you would have to use pc for a while, then reboot and quickly look in bios before pc cools down again, for this to be any use; as i said initially this was just a throwaway comment, i've always been an Intel man, even as far back as when CPUs didn't need heatick or fan (old git!) and have only been into AMD for less than 6mths. I spent ages working out probs with system overheating and it was cus i was using a h/sink & fan for a lesser CPU. Anyway i digress, i'm not convinced heat is your problem as this would happen if you played games like Quake3 for example. Just thought it's worth ruling out

10. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Dlanky ,
    You might try re-seating the ram and checking all og the cables to make sure they are properly re-seated. If you can increasing the Ram to 512 might help. It kind of sounds like once the heat gets built up the MOBO could have a small short although that normally happens when the computer is cold. But I really do not think this is heat related as if it was Windows would shut down.
    Try running a MemTest on the computer and see if it passes

11. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

I think I have a few ideas but I still need help. My c drive had abot 7 gig free. I cleared off a DVD that I had backed up and empioed the re cyvle bin but I still have only 900meg available!! I think the locking problem is due to lack of hard disk space. I have moved shrink to my D drive which has bunles of space but it hasn't helped. Shrink must load the tempfiles somewhere for manipulation after doing the initial analysis. This is before deep analysis or backup which both work fine. I cannot find a config file that indicates where this might be, as I could then move this to the D drive. Any ideas? What if I moved the swap file (virtual memeory) to ther D drive?
    Any more thoughts from anyone please???

12. creaky

@Dlanky - try downloading a cracking free util called treesize - http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml, it'll show which folder(s) are hogging all your space, you've probably just left a movie or 2 lying around..

As for the shrink analysis folder, it's similar to "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\DVD Shrink you can delete them if you like.

ps you say you 'moved' Shrink, did you do it properly, ie uninstall then reinstall, pointing the install process to D drive..

Moving the swap file to another drive or partition is always a good plan

but hang on
    ; i thought you said pc or Shrink was locking up ?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  13. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

Thanks I’ll have a look at that, but I can’t think where I have left a film. I did search.

Shrink opens normally and does the quick analysis for 1-2 minutes. After which it then presents the analysis of the disk. If I then click on, say, extras, to have a look at that it presents this file structure and then locks. I then have to close it and restart and then backup without looking at the structure of the disk

14. creaky

right.... i think we're all making too many assumptions re hardware issues. Is is a particular movie you're having trouble with ?. Maybe it's due to new protections such as arccos etc.
    If so the next best (free) thing to try is dvd decrypter (latest version is 3.5.4.0)

Rich

15. creaky

forum went on go-slow and multi-posted my reply 4times..

16. creaky

17. creaky

18. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

Forgoet, Yes I did move it properly. however will its own temp directory still default to C or can I force it to D in any way?

19. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

No, it is every movie no matter what the size. I can use decryptor fine but I can't then user the facilities to change and delete languages etc.

20. creaky

Shrink's temp directory...hmmm the only thing similar i've come across with Shrink is the folder where it dumps it's analysis results. I had a look at that folder last night and there's round 500 files in there, all of 5MB so i left it alone.

so you're using Decrypter to chuck the files on the hard drive, then point Shrink at that directory.. I'm no decrypter expert but i just select all files (the rare times i use decrypter), and transfer all to hard drive. Do you do all files ?. i know you can select some of the files but i always get that wrong and am a tad lazy so i just do them all.