1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrink/nero & XP service pack 2!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by fester451, Oct 5, 2004.

1. fester451

fester451 Member

Hi all.

Ive been burning with shrink/nero for some time now and have NEVER had any probs at all. every single disc burns fine, (i have a flashed 107, and only burn ritek g/04 or g/05's).
    I installed service pack 2 last week. (off a disc)
    very smooth, and everything seemed to go fine.

Come to burn my next disc and major probs. shrink wont recognise my 107, and will only allow a burn to image drive. when I try to burn a dvd off my hard drive with nero, the same occurs. nero wont let me burn a dvd, and has removed all the dvd options.

after an awful lot of messing about i got nowhere and did system restore, to pre-service pack 2.

lo and behold, everything back to normal. Anyone else suffered this, and any ideas how to get round it.
    (and do I really need sp2?)

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

What version of Nero do you have -- when SP2 came out , Nero, Zone alarm and others had problems with it -- Ahead Software the makers of Nero quickly sorted that out. Other software manufacturers have also made changes to theirs !

3. styl3r

styl3r Member

yes i to have never had problems i am now getting problem on my burnt dvd's not just in nero but alcohol. What the problem is, i copy dvd's with mp3's on them and several txt files, now after copying with either programmes when i try and open the txt files it just comes unable to find yet i've just loaded this new os winxp pro sp2 integrated and i am doing nothing different than i did when i had my old sys with winxp pro sp1 same discs same pioneer 106 i am stumped and rather p****d off. can anyone help or no of a patch or something please help ????

4. Treker

Treker Guest

Guys I´m sorry to hear all these problems you have with xp service pack2, but I really don´t have them. Look at my specs, I use shrink, I don´t have NERO, I use Record Now from sonic, no problems, no errors.¿What do you do to your computers to get all these problems?

5. styl3r

styl3r Member

look at yours does it matter what you've got and anyway if it does i have
    my spec
    abit nf7-s v2.0
    amd xp 3200 400fsb
    2 x 256mb dual geil ram cas 2.5 8-4-4
    80gb maxtor diamondmax plus 9
    liteon ltr 40125s
    jlms xj hd166s
    pioneer Ao6/1o6
    labtec 5.1 surround sound

quote probably the fastest socket A board there is
    will clock to 2800mhz running speed whats that about equivalent to a 4gig cpu
    anyway in answer to smart ass i've tried alcohol 120% v1.9.2
    nero v6.3.1.25 uninstalled to v6.3.1.20 still the same slow read on burnt dvd's reads all the mp3 folders and the word files but not the .TXT files am i missing something i wish i new must be os my version of XP is win xp pro 5.1.2600 sp2 i suppose that release 1 of sp2 think i will partion drive up and run my old xp pro sp1a which i have burnt in excess of 1000 dvd's and a fair few more cd's.

6. styl3r

styl3r Member

oh yeh and an MSI FX5600 256mb vivo g card

7. styl3r

styl3r Member

so nu ne nu ne nu nu !!!!!!!

8. styl3r

styl3r Member

this version of xp i am running now has got integrated sp2 so nobody say uninstall sp2 thanks
    styl3r
    "war is not dying for your country but others dying for theres"

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

@Treker

Try posting something useful instead being a snot.

@styl3r

It takes two to tango so knock it off.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  10. Treker

Treker Guest

Please forgive me all, I only made a simple question.
    To sensible around here I see. Just simple question or answer, dry and simple.
    Goodluck bye.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2004
  11. sas7042

sas7042 Member

Hi. Has anybody had problems with extremely slow ripping speeds using dvd decrypter after installing service pack 2. Prior to installing the service pack I was getting extremely fast rip speeds 16x which on average took about less than 10 min to rip. With XP service pack 2 dvd decrypter was ripping at 1-2x saying it would take hours. I had to totally reformat my drive and reinstall xp without service pack 2. Decryptor seems to be working better but now I'm having problems with Dvd Shrink. I used to be able to get between 3,000-5000 kb/s encoding speed using files already ripped on a SATA drive but now I'm only getting 2200kb/s and less. I've also lost the ability to burn with nero using Shrink. It no longer gives me the option to burn with nero only iso decryptor. I've tried reinstalling Shrink but still no nero choice. Any ideas what might be the problem. I have the most current edition of nero, shrink, and decrypter. Sorry for such a long post.
    My specs are AMD XP 2800, 1GB ddr ram, 160 SATA HD, Plextor PX-712A dvd recorder. Thanks. SS

12. addybill

addybill Member

any problems that I have had with xp sp2 I have uninstalled the program and then reinstall it

13. war

war Member

Hi all
    my brother in law had a similar problem with his computer after installing sp2 on xp as well. the slow burning was due to a microsoft program running and using around 96 to 98 percent of his processing power. If i remember right it was to do with simple tcp/ip? being checked in the windows components box and was to do with his lan connections on board his motherboard.Just initiate taskmanager and it will be the one usung all of those valuable resources.
    hope this helps certainly helped his computer to speed back up to pre sp2 speed.

14. lillygirl

lillygirl Member

Hi:

converted movie in Nero. Recd .nrg image. Shrink does not recognize .nrg.
    Tried again on Nero. Recd .iso image. Once again Shrink does not recognize it.

where did I do wrong or is there another software other than Nero that I can obtain an .iso to take to Shrink ?

15. Veblin

Veblin Active member

DVD Shrink should open Image Files(*.iso, *.nrg, *.img, *.mds)

Click File > Open Disc Image. Or Press Ctrl + I.

16. lillygirl

lillygirl Member

I noticed that .nrg and .iso are accepted file types in Shrink but i get a msg: something to the effect of wrong UDO format ???

what on earth is that........
    will try contrl 1 and get back.

17. khalark

khalark Member

I have ser pack 2 and nero and shrink and i have no problem.

18. ricster

ricster Regular member

19. iiii

iiii Guest

xp2800 asus
    lg 4x dvd writer
    ghost
    nero 5.5 and 6.xxx

Same problems with nero, ghost, and k3b (linux). Uninstalled sp2 but had same problems. Could be drive going bad or this low cost media. Possibly that microsoft, RIAA, Nero, and maybe writer companies got together to solve pirate movies and bootleg software (national security problem) without the courts. I remember getting a couple of good dvd burns for backups and ghost 2003 (no longer supported in sept 04) when the drive slowly died. I switch to linux and got one good burn but now there is non. A good AI package and rewriting some dvd writer firmware would fix our wagons. If the software suspect you violating a license XP sp2 with Nero, ghost ... may tell the operating system to change your drive firmware. This would answer the sp2 drive failures even though sp2 is uninstalled.

20. war

war Member

no problems here with xp sp2,nero,clonedvd2 or really anything else thus far. Have had sp2 on since it was first ready to download only have dial up at present so a lot of patience was required .....and time around 5 and half hours download for sp2 for me!!!