1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink on a go slow

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by SDempsey, Jan 10, 2007.

1. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

Hi guys
    I wonder if anyone could help me solve this problem. Ihave been backing up my DVDs using Shrink & Decrypter for a couple of years now, usually without any hassle. the problem I have now is that Shrink is starting to take ages to Shrink a DVD. for instance whereas before it would take 15/16 minutes to Shrink and create an ISO its now taking over 2 hours just to do the movie only (The Great Escape) which is not even encrypted Another couple of back ups ive tried to do freeze the computer after about 1hr 30 mins, I have to shut down and reboot. Please help'
    Thanks
    Seamus

2. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

I don't want to sound too mean, but...Shrink is taking too long to analyze/encode etc., etc.? Get out!

Okay, I'm done.

Seriously, though, this is more than likely due to the PIO/DMA issue. There are too many threads concerning this topic. Just search PIO or DMA and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The PC usually slips back into PIO mode and it takes optical drives forever to do their job. Just search it.

3. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

I think you may have missunderstood me, I can rip the DVD to the hard drive using Decrypter in about 15 mins, Its when I go to back up the movie from the iso that was created that it takes forever. by the way I searched pio & dma as you suggested and did all the stuff that alkohol suggested, still the same.
    Seamus

4. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

Well I am completly confused now. I have just reformatted my pc and now even Decrypter is going slow. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

5. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

I had some wierd consistancy problems with my encoders/transcoders. I think I had too many similar programs installed and it created a conflict that caused complete shutdown, or such a snail's pace that it failed.

I don't know what you re-installed after re-formatting, but my problems seemed to revolve around anydvd, if you have used their products uninstall and run a reg cleaner. After this encoders/transcoders have been working faster than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been my method after cleaning everything OFF.

A. DVDFabDecrypter - movie only
    B. FixVTS
    C. Shrink w/Nero burn

Works fine...even pesky sony and disney have been no problem after conflicts were resolved.

6. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

Sorry about the delay in replying. I tried running DVDSHRINK on my laptop and it works fine,as does DECRYPTER Weird.

7. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Well, I apologize for my curt response. But the way you describe these symptoms, it sounds exactly like a PIO/DMA problem. You mention that it only took Shrink 15 or 16 minutes to create an ISO (which is the culmination of encoding) but now it takes 2 hours.

Be that as it may, I think you already isolated the problem. If it's not a PIO/DMA issue (which is only for encoding etc.), and the programs are working flawlessly on your laptop, then it must be something on your desktop (or wherever you're having this problem). Forget about DVD programs, is any other program slowing down?

I don't think it's the problem kitty has. I have probably too many DVD programs on my computer and I don't have any slowdowns. The only time Shrink takes a while to encode is when I have a massive movie that is being compressed.

Reformatting a computer usually rectifies every problem that can be rectified. The only time it doesn't work is when your are completely screwed.

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Mr Pink
    I personally do not believe in reformatting a computer. With enough experience you can weed the problems from your registry. If you have a .dll conflict you can download the .dll file. I look at a reformat as a last measure, when I have tried everything and nothing is working.

I also have more programs on my computer than I know what to do with! 3/4 of them I don't even use. The problem SDempsey is referring to could be a number of things. For one he mentioned that he is using DVD Decrypter. That program is not updated any longer and he may not even have the program set up correctly. I have AnyDVD, and can use DVD Decrypter. What he or she may need to do is download DVDFab Decrypter. You can get that program for free at this site: http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

The next thing to make sure of is that you do not have "Deep Analysis" selected when you go to back up. That will cause Shrink to move at a slower pace. I only use the "Deep Analysis" if I'm below 70%. That part is just a thought.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That 15 minutes to create an ISO isn't normal by any means and I suspect a figment of someone's imagination. Either that or a tiny file. ;) It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes just to get a rip. Shrink is fastest at low compression when the Quality Settings aren't in use. It's not unusual for older systems doing a larger movie with Quality Settings on to take a couple of hours.

What is the PC in use and what are the system resources? Also, I never saw Mr_Pink's question answered. Are the drives in PIO or DMA?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  10. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

What I meant was 15 minutes to rip, then 15 mins to burn.The drives are in DMA mode (or is that a figment of my imagination)

11. onya

onya Guest

Hi all, I'm with syxguns on this one, almost 100%. Although there IS an issue between DVDFab Decrypter and AnyDVD(simply disable AnyDVD when using Fab) Fab is supported, and you'll have a much better rate of success with it.
    @PacMan777, Yes it would be nice to know, are the settings PIO or DMA...LOL. To add further to the go slow issue, I've noticed that indeed on certain dvd's that the moving/animated menu's, can cause a massive time difference in DVD Shrink. For instance you'll get them at the intro as usual, then some have the directors special features with moving menu's. These files coupled with audio, are enormouse. I use MENU SHRINK to take care of these "over achieving" dvd's. Use the link near my sig pic, and see how that goes also.

Cheers.

12. keltin29

keltin29 Member

That’s an odd problem, especially considering you just reformatted and reinstalled everything. For giggles, have you run DiscCleanup, ScanDisk, and Defrag on your hard-drive?

A nice (and free) cleaner utility that is CCleaner that takes care clutter on your drive.. It adds onto your Recycle Bin menu file and can easily be run with a right click.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

You may also want to look at the free utility ProcExp (Process Explorer) to see what else is running on your system and what is hogging your CPU time when you do the Shrinks.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

(Odd, MS actual bought out SysInternals!)

Finally, just to be sure, you don’t have Deep Analysis turned in Shrink on do you? That can add hours to your shrink.

13. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

I just checked that and the box is unticked,I have also ran crap cleaner.

14. syxguns

syxguns Active member

SDempsey-

Have you tried uninstalling the Shrink program and then re-installing it? Have you tried just installing the version on top of the current version that you have? It might solve the problem if there is a registry error involved.

Now doing an uninstall will not remove registry settings, and I don't believe that it is right for me to explain editing your registry. Maybe an uninstall/reinstall will do the trick.

If you disabled AnyDVD as "onya" mentioned and ran DVDFab then the only thing that you are having a problem with is Shrink. Do you have Nero Recode2 to use instead of DVD Shrink?

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What kind of PC are we talking about? What processor is in use and what is its speed? How much RAM and how much free? With 512MB on an XP system running internet security, that usually doesn't leave much if there's any other programs requiring their share of the RAM. Plus some graphics cards demand a share. 1GB is usually suggested for a hard working system and doing video backups is hard work for a PC. What size is the hard drive(s) and how much free space is available?

That did not say rip. It said Shrink and create ISO in 15 to 16 minutes. You'll have to overlook our humor, but that does sound fictitious. If you meant the singe act of rip or burn, you should have said so.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

BTW, ripping and burning has little to do with the time it takes for transcoding. Are your rip times and burn times now slower as well? Movie content can effect transcoding. I've had movies of shorter length take more time than longer movies. Have you tried other software to see if it's running slower as well. See how long it takes to do a movie with the AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 trials from Slysoft and compare the times with Shrink. CloneDVD2 is usually speedy in comparison.

17. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

Indeed they are. given uo the ghost on it, im using the laptop.

Seamus

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Rips depend on the read speed of the drive more than the speed of the processor. Burn speeds should be fixed and depends on content and speed selected. Transcoding depends on variables such as bitrate, both audio and video content, compression rates, interlacing, and more along with the software selected. It's often very CPU intensive and depends on system resources. So, I'll toss it out there again, rips and burns don't necessarily indicate transcode speeds.

You never did tell us what that desktop was made of.

19. onya

onya Guest

It's hard to believe that even after reformatting, the whole issue didn't go away. Let me throw this in the ring. After reformatting, any net nasties are gone,yes? When reinstalling any of the apps in discussion, were they installed from saved files on another device? Is it a possibility a virus/rootkit and so on... have been reintroduced from these files without you knowing? This may seem a little simplistic, but worth asking.

20. SDempsey

SDempsey Member