1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by oasis, Feb 19, 2005.

1. oasis

oasis Guest

when i use shrink i usually set the extras to still pictures and leave the rest alone.The problem is the beginning of the movies i backup,when the company logos appear the picture is hacking as it was set to still pics.As i said i dont do anything with the menu compression etc.Does the intro go under the extra chapters??Both the movie and menues works perfect!
    Anyone??

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You shouldn't even bother making the extras to stills. You might as well just rip the movie by itself. Not only will you have less issues with the navigation, you will also use less compression for the main movie. There's really is no point to keeping the menus when the movie is the only watchable part of the dvd. The buttons on you DVD remote control can change your sound and subtitle options faster than a menu can anyway. If you insist on doing it the same way, just make sure you don't change the opening track to a still. This is usually in the extras folder. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

When you replace the extra's for a still image, the timing stays the same so that’s why it seems to hang. Just keep one of your previously burned DVD's in the player to test this and it will eventually get to the main menu in the same amount of time.

But…

What I have had great success with since my family likes the extras, etc. is to just use Custom Compression on everything other then the main movie and also remove all audio other then "English". With Sony Media that I use now, I have flawless burns and never a coaster and I burn at 8X.

4. tarm49

tarm49 Member

when i use dvd shrink it makes my dvd player on my computer play choppy,(as if its starting and stopping very quickly), it also shrinks dvds slower and slower every tim i use it
    Any suggestions?

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

tarm49

It's not Shrink doing it, it sounds like a PC problem. Be more specific about what is happening, what type of hardware do you have, how much room left on your HD, memory, etc. Are you running programs in the background while burning? Etc.

By the way that is skipping and that is usually media problems also.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  6. tarm49

tarm49 Member

when i first got dvd shrink it worked fine. Then, the more i used it , the longer it took to shrink movies. and when i played the movies on the d drive it would play back a very choppy image as well as the sound.
    when listening to cds or watching dvds is sound like you are listing to someone talk though a fan(all choppy). so i replaced the d drive. and every thing was fine again for a few weeks. but as soon as i started using shrink again, the problem reoccurred. i dont have any other programs running or any thing like that.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Please check these out for me...

In device manager you will find your secondary channel under the ATA controller. See what it says your DMA settings are. Also, how much Hard Disk space do you have on your system and how much is free space?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  8. oasis

oasis Guest

thanks for your info guys:)Had very little harddrive space when i encoded,so that might have something to do with my problem.Will try that,or in the future just use movie only.

9. tarm49

tarm49 Member

i have 45G of free space on the computer and the dma settings it says ultra dma mode2

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

tarm49

You have enough free space and also correct settings on your burner. Next thing is media and burn speed.

11. tarm49

tarm49 Member

where do i go to change that and what speed should i use?

12. tarm49

tarm49 Member

ok i found the burn settins but i am not able to change them because they are all greyed out

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

When you use shrink, after it does its thing and is ready to burn with your burning software, a little menu appears and one of the last tabs is where you can change the setting to 4x. I still believe it is your media though. What are you using???? What is your media that you are using such as TDK DVD-R 4x, etc.

14. tarm49

tarm49 Member

right now im using memorex dvdr+ and my burning software isTMPGEnc dvd author. the thing is i still get that choppy effect when i put in store bought dvds or store bought cds

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Then try your burns on a friend’s player and see what happens. If they are good then we know it's your system. You checked your DMA settings, you replaced your DVD-Rom drive, and you have enough memory, so what's left. How about your PSU/power supply wattage. Is it too low to handle your devices? What is it's wattage?

16. tarm49

tarm49 Member

the wattage was good enough for the devices b-4 dvdshrink was used but i dont know how to check the the wattage on the computer