1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink Problems after install of RoxioMedia Creator 9 Suite

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by DGuy360, Jan 25, 2007.

1. DGuy360

DGuy360 Member

I have used Shrink with AnyDVD for years without problems and always with excellent results. I record TV series programs, then edit with TMPGEnc. Recently I loaded Roxio Media Creator 9 Suite for the sole purpose of quickly building menus and inserting chapter breaks and outputting a DVD. That process is simple and works well, but since the installation of Media Creator 9, Shrink will no longer work for backing up my other DVD's. Specifically, Shrink will open, you can select the drive containing the DVD, but it fails to open the VIDEO_TS files. In the screen where you would normally select the main movie to begin the backup process, only video_ts and audio_ts folders appear, thus the Shrink process stops at that point. I know the simple fix is probably to remove Roxio, but I need the chapter insertion and menu building for my other projects. Any suggestions??

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Is AnyDVD still running? What movie are you trying to backup? Have you uninstalled both DVD Shrink and AnyDVD, run Ccleaner, reboot and reinstalled both?

3. DGuy360

DGuy360 Member

AnyDVD is still running. I've tried several movies, including a few that I had successfully backed up only days prior to installing Media Creator 9 Suite. I did un & re install DVD Shrink, but did not try that for AnyDVD. Not familiar with Ccleaner, but presume that is a "get all trace" cleaner. Should I give that a try?? A side note... I previously had a "came with the drive" version of Roxio 8 cohabitate this PC. Although it never was satisfactory for my menu and chapter break needs, it never caused a problem with DVD Shrink or any other software that I know of.

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Here is a link for Ccleaner...

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It is a handly little reg cleaner and does a few other things, but it is really a good free app.

5. DGuy360

DGuy360 Member

Thanks!! I'll give that a try any update the results ASAP.

6. DGuy360

DGuy360 Member

Well... It was worth a try. Un-installed AnyDVD & DVD Shrink, ran Ccleaner, rebooted. Re-installed AnyDVD & DVD Shrink, tried backup of "Broken Bridges", but had the same results.... when trying to re-author, clicked on the title/drive, but still only VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders appear in next screen. Then tried to do "Full Disk Backup", "Open Disk", "Select Drive", I get this error message..... "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read E:\ Incorrect Function." I'm stumped......

7. DGuy360

DGuy360 Member

BTW.... AnyDVD is apparently working, as I can complete successful backups of DVD's using the Roxio, but it is so very slooooow. Thanks

8. candycab

candycab Member

Any time I have installed and removed programs that use any part of the Aspi layer like DVD authoring suites they have almost always screwed up parts of the Aspi layer when they were removed. As a result things I normally run on a regular basis like DVD Shrink and Nero stop working correctly or dont work at all.
    Ive also had XP go from running in DMA mode shift to PIO mode following an uninstall, which as you know then turns youre optical drive performance into molasses.

This is something I would definitly look into if it were me, besides what do you have to lose ; )

Good luck, hope this may help out : )

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm