1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrink reauthor compilation

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by blackjet, Feb 2, 2005.

1. blackjet

blackjet Guest

When I try to make a compilation of several movie clips using reauthor in shrink, some of the clips become pixelated.

2. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

It is not uncommon for clips to pixelize a bit when you attempt to create a compilation using Shrink. But do they only become pixelated at the beginning of the clip or do they have constant pixelation throughout the scene?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2005
  3. blackjet

blackjet Guest

The entire clip.

4. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

What is the compression ratio of your compilation? If you try to fit a lot of data onto the DVD, you could be sacrificing quality. Also, are you burning at 4X and using quality media? There are several factors that could be at play here.

5. blackjet

blackjet Guest

I am @ 54% compression while burning 4x to good media.
    I do have a lot of data in one file.

Thanks

6. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I hear high compression will do that. Try a lower compression or splitting your compilation to 2 discs, it sucks but you'll have your quality back.

7. blackjet

blackjet Guest

Any way to get the quality back ? I no longer have the original source for the clips.

8. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

There isn't any way to get the original quality back, you can only make duplicates of whatever quality you currently have.

And 54% is really high compression. I've compressed movies at 54%- 55% and they are acceptable but pixelation is definitely noticeable. Are you using Deep Analysis and High Quality AEC settings when you encode? You should always use those settings when compression goes below 80%.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  9. blackjet

blackjet Guest

I am using deep analysis but what are AEC settings ?

10. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

AEC settings are Adaptive Error Compensation settings that help minimize the glitches and artifacts that occur naturally during compression. Checking this box will help improve picture quality in the end result.

When you're ready to backup your movie using Shrink, check under the "Quality Settings" tab. On the bottom half, you will see "DVD Shrink 3.2 Quality Enhancements" and then you can choose between "Sharp, Smooth, Max Sharpness and Max Smoothness". Using this feature will increase the encoding time and eat up all your system's resources but it's worth it for a better quality backup.

As for what setting is best, you'll have to experiment. I usually leave it on the default sharp setting if the compression is below 70% but I have had good results with "Maximun Smoothness" on movies that were around 74% and up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2005
  11. blackjet

blackjet Guest

Thanks for the tips. What is a good target compresstion ratio and how do I get it ? I do not like to split between 2 discs.

12. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

It really depends on what you consider acceptable and whether or not that will be sufficient for your tastes. I know it sounds cliche but it's the truth. I've compressed movies to as low as 54% but there was obvious pixelation and quality loss, as would be expected. It's the price you pay for keeping the menus and extras.

Now, if you're re-authoring and just keeping the main movie, often your compression ratio will be at 72% or higher, and that is fine for me. You could also backup as a full disc and replace some extras with still images if you insist on keeping the working menus and so forth.

When compression is below 90%, I always run deep analysis and High Quality AEC. It's all a matter of how much time you are willing to give Shrink to encode. Here is how I would chart the quality. (My opinion only! Your level of scrutiny will probably vary.)

90%- 100% Great quality. Backup as is.

80%- 90% Still very good quality, run Deep Analysis and High Quality AEC if you wish.

71%- 80% Good quality but noticable pixelation, definitely run Deep Analysis as well as AEC setting of your choice.

65%- 70% Can still be considered pretty good quality but be prepared to sacrifice fluidity during intense action, Deep Analysis and AEC settings a must.

54%- 64% Acceptable copy but very pixelated, especially at high rates of motion. Absolutely run Deep Analysis and AEC to compensate for major quality loss.

Never seen anything below 54%, so you probably do not need to worry about that. It's give and take, as is much of life, so find a formula that works for you and be willing to take some time to play around with your options. Try different settings, take notes of your results and maybe even keep a log of your burns. Eventually you will find your niche. :)