1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink Repeated Main movies

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by grooveyau, Apr 20, 2004.

1. grooveyau

grooveyau Member

Hi I have 2 questions re DVD shrink v 3.1.7.6 and Burning DVD movies

1. When analyzing some DVD movies, mostly newer ones, in the main movie section I get up to 5 repeated files all claiming to be the main movie and all the same size (matrix was 5168 meg). So far I have just selected the top one, gone to re author and made an iso of the one movie (file). That is then burned onto DVD via Nero 6.3 something. This repeating of main movies seems to correlate with increased skipping or resetting when played on the DVD player (sony). Is the repeating a form of copy protection? They cant all be legit files, there isnt enough room on the DVD for them all!!

2. Some burnt DVDs cannot be read by the sony DVD player, but I take them out and wipe them with cloth and they do work. What is going on here? Surely a small bit of fluff isn't preventing the disc from being read? This also happens with fresh unburnt DVDs whe I put them in to be burnt. Rubbing on cloth seems to remove the error (particularly on the burn function of DVD decrypter).

Any advice appreciated
    Thanks
    G.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi grooveyau, I have seen 2 main movies on a single dvd. Usually 1 is the wide screen version, the second is usually the version re-sized for normal TV screens. I never came across 5 versions. Maybe someone else will reply with your answer.

Jerry

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah sounds like the 5 main movie VOB files , nothing unusual there ;-)

P.S Maybe try using Ritek G04 dye discs instead of whatever media you are currently trying (especially if using non-brand,Princo,Datawrite etc etc).

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

I have seen this sort of thing on DVD's with "alternative" endings etc. It seems that shrink (and DVD2one), occasionally, lists "all possibilities" as seperate movies ..I am sorry i can't be more specific here, in fact im struggling !!. I am sure someone will turn up with a far better explanation.

In these specific cases i would tend to backup the whole DVD or simply remove "safe" extras".

As for the "dust" problem. I use a strong, photography, blower brush on all my blank dvd's before burning. I have had a few cases where the laser has actually "burnt round" stubborn dust/debris rendering the burnt disk useless..

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Why are The Samaritans always engaged?[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2004
  5. herbsman

I had no problem doing [bold]Matrix[/bold] (Movie-Only method) w/ DVD2One [think I would probably have been using version 1.13 back then].

DVD Decrypter in FILE mode:
    Main movie .VOB(s) & title set .IFO (which is usually always 2 above the uppermost VOB file).
    DVD2One in Movie-Only mode , 4464mb , constant ratio , choost tile set (whichever is the longest in time) , AC3 6CH / English subs , Angle 1 ... START.
    Nero (was probably using 5.5.10.20 back then) in DVD-Video mode: Drag n' drop all (from DVD2One destination folder) to red VIDEO_TS folder ... BURN.

:)

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

They put all those extra titles in there because they can. You may have the wide screen, full screen, extended directors cut full and /or wide screen, director's commentary, etc.

There is room on the disc for all of them even if they total up greater than what would fit on a DVD. There is really only one movie on the disc.

Each version you are looking at is the same movie, only a slight difference in the content or the navigation of this particular version makes it unique. Only the difference may need to be added. In this case you would note a change in the overall size of the title when compared to the others. If only a change in the navigation is occurring, the size of the movie titles would remain the same.

The directors cut for example. With the original you make a menu choice and select it. Specific values are put in your DVD player's register. As the DVD plays through and certain points are reached, the values are compared. If a value is one that matches a number in the DVD navigation file, your player will perform a particular action, like jumping to a different scene, playing additional scenes or skipping some and playing others.

Thats a really rough example but you get the idea. The version you select will no longer allow changes to register values. The Shrink reauthor program will change the nav structure so the register values are entered in for you, the movie is now hardwired to play this particular way each time, although you can still use your remote to move around with.

The studio is making full use of the DVD specification to give the viewer lots of choices. A movie like that can be a challenge to reauthor.

Patience and the preview screen in Shrink help a lot. Try and narrow the choices down by first selecting the wide screen or full screen format, then by viewing the remaining choices, you should be able to pick the one you want. You may need to watch the original, paying attention to the menu choices available. This should give you a better idea of whats available to choose from.

You should be making the choices for the final appearance of your DVD. When you watch the results they will be as you wanted them, because you took your time and did not leave the process to chance.

IMHO,
    Frank

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  7. grooveyau

grooveyau Member

Thanks for the (in depth) advice people. Have tried Matrix again at a slower speed and it seems to have worked.

8. herbsman

glad to hear about positive results goovey australian (hehe - bit presumptuous maybe)

!: ]-~