1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink says DVD is 4463mb, Decypher says it is 8634mb

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ChrisM12, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

I am new at both of these. I am trying to copy Sum of All Fears, and the Shrink anylizes it and says it is 4463mb, but when I go to Decypher, the first step is to check the size, and it says something different. What do I do? What am I not doing or doing wrong?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You're doing nothing wrong. By default Shrink will show the size of the movie when compressed whereas Decrypter will show the true size because it doesn't do any sort of comression.

After Shrink does it's analysis you should see a drop down on the top right that is set to "Automatic". If you select "No Compression" from that drop down you'll see the true size :)

3. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

Thank you. I am new at this. After selecting "No Commpression", and it shows the size that is double what it needs to be, what is the best way to get the size to within limits? Do you have to eliminate parts of the DVD?

4. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

Ok, I have the adjustment to a commpression of the main movie of 59% and the extras to 57% by eliminating all audio tracks except the AC3 5.1-ch English. Is this as good as I could get?

5. hursty

hursty Active member

59% is low.
    if you dont need all the extras,get rid of them

6. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

If I wanted to keep the extras, couldn't I decrease the commpression percentages on the extras, to keep the comp on the main movie up? And still be able to watch the extras but with less quality??

7. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

If so, what is the minimum comp percentage I should use on the extras? Any other things I could take out to save space??

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can certainly compress the extras more than the main film but I really couldn't tell you how much is too much because I usually do just the main movie on films that large :)

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes that is the way to do it. You want the movie up as high as possible. The number shown isn't how much it is compressed its the % it will burn at. If it shows 60% it is compressed 40%. Try to get the movie up near 70% if possible.

Jerry

10. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

Ok, I feel like a real idiot, but... I don't see how to delete a specific extra. When I highlight an extra, and on the commpression side, it has an option of "still image" gets the title down to 45mb, but that is the lowest option there is. Is there a way to just take that extra off all together??

Thank yall so much, you have been very very helpful.

When I do that, this is what I have. Main movie at 71.5%. Extras are set at automatic commpression and most are in the 40%s. And one of the extras (the biggest) is just a still image. And the total MB is 4464.

11. bill1996

bill1996 Member

If you want all the xtra's for whatever reason then place that on a second disk. fit the movie from chapter 1 till say 20 on the first disk then start @ chapter 21 till end of movie say chapter 30. Then also add your xtra's for this disk. In the long run you'll have a better copy and have all the extra's you want.Yes it's using 2 disk's but the cost is dropping to per cost of disk .30 ea. If your quality is in the 80 percent range or above for the main movie and you can fit other items then fine, otherwise I wouldn't recommed trying to squeeze to much on 1 disk. In the long run you'll want the quality of the main movie...

12. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

Again, Using DVD Shrink, How do you delete say, the extras, or part of the movie from the disk? Do I do that in DVD Decypher or Shrink? Lets say I want to burn only the movie, how do I do that?

I think I have everything else except that down.

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If you want to take somthing out in your extras or lets say there are 2 movies files widscreen and full screen, you can still image one of the movie titles. You cant just take it out. you have to have somthing there "still image" to keep the integrety of the maping of the CD.

Just a warning if you re-author and just add menus the movie and extras in the re-author window your menus and movie and extras will act like a slide show. They will just play 1 after the other. You wont have working menus.

14. dvdj

dvdj Member

Are you familiar with re-author open shrink and your movie at the top click the re-author button then you will see all sections of your movie menus/main movie/extras ect. drag the main movie over to your disc by default shrink is set to automatic compression. something that iv'e found that works to get better quality is to select custom ratio and slide
    the bar ever so slowly towards the 100& mark keep an eye on the mb at the top you usualy can get another
    few & and still stay under the 4463mb

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The main reason I use CloneDVD2 over DVD Shrink is for the fact that with CloneDVD you can edit out everything you want and still keep the menu working. Its not free but you do get a 15 or 20 day trial period to see if you like it. If you got your movie to 71% in Shrink you should be OK with that.

Jerry

16. ChrisM12

ChrisM12 Member

Thanks everybody!!