1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink slows down as it goes

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by pkapad1, Mar 18, 2004.

1. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

So I've been having this issue for the last 8 months or so. I start a shrink backup, it seems to hit a decent speed after a few seconds, and then it continously slows down as it rips. It'll start at ~6500K and by the end it's at 1800K. Its a gradual slow down, every few seconds the rate drops 10-20k.

My system is a 2.4 p4, 1.2G ram, C: is a 40G 7200rpm WD, D: is a 120G 7200rpm IBM drive, E: is a sony 16x rom (ddu1612), f: is a pioneer 106.

I had this problem originally with the 106, before I bought the sony rom. I have the cracked 1.07 firmware, didn't help. So I got the sony drive, and it starts faster, but it still slows down to <2000K towards the end. The funny thing is that if I save to c: I get a slightly faster rate than if I save to d:, but still have the slowdown.

This is making me crazy. I've tried all the firmwares, i've turned DMA off and on, defragged many times, and I'm thinking about getting a SATA HDD...maybe its overkill, but I'm running out of ideas. Help???

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

I doubt this is a HD problem but rather a memory, DVD-ROM or burner. Which ever drive you're reading your DVD from is filling it's buffer and is slow flushing or filling your system memory. My OEM Sony DVD-ROM substains an even rate - haven't noticed any slow-downs.

RWG

3. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

thanks for the thoughts...Never considered memory to be a possible culprit...not sure why. (I swear I'm getting dumber by the minute) I'll try some diags and also i'll try pulling one module at a time. I'm thinking that its not the drives, since the indentical problem happens with both drives. Any more ideas?

4. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

OK, an update...ran 6 passes of memtest86, no errors, pulled half the mem at a time, no change. I'm thinking it may be the motherboard...

5. RWG

RWG Regular member

Are you refering to drive slowdown during Deep Analysis? I haven't done an analysis other than when Shrink 1st reads the DVD in...a long time and a few versions ago.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well getting a SATA drive will make no difference. Have you used Ad-aware to check your system for scumware?

DMA should always be on.

Do you have the burner set as Master? How long does it take to rip an 8G DVD 9 to the HD with DVD Decrypter with both drives.

7. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

Not using deep analysis. I run adaware every startup. The dvd drives are on secondary IDE channel, The ROM is set as master, burner as slave. I'm pretty sure that I've tried switching them before, but I'll try again and reply if it helps.
    An 8G dvd using decrypter took 51 minutes by the burner and 47 by the ROM.

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Not good at all. The burner could be a slow ripper, but the ROM drive should be taking 15 to 25 minutes to rip a DVD.

It sure does seem like a DMA problem ( with XP if it has problems it will drop the drive to PIO mode).

What OS are you running and what major burning programs do you have installed. In Device Manager when you check properties for IDE are both showing DMA enabled?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  9. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

Running XP home, device manager shows DMA 2 for both drives, installed are nero 6, decrypter, and I think thats it. I'm very close to reintalling the whole d@#$ OS onto a clean disk.

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well you could try deleting the IDE channel in Device Manager, reboot XP and let it reinstall them.

11. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

thats a good idea...I'll try that before the computer goes out the window. Thanks for the help, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

12. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

OK, deleting IDE drivers didn't work. I'm going to try reinstalling the whole system...at least now I'm finally backing up my HDD. If this doesn't work, I'm going to try a new MB. Thanks for the helpful ideas...

13. vanno

vanno Member

stop stop i am sure it is not a hardware problem. I too had same problem and finally figure it ou and worked for me. When you click on back up, you get 4 otion tabs on back dvd. under backup options click on it and you should have something that say "priority for the backup to be low" uncheck this and should solve your problem. it worked for mr. let us know

14. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

low priority box ain't checked...thanks, though

15. pkapad1

pkapad1 Member

Giddy-Up...formatting and starting over took care of everything :)