1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink Target DVD size

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bardie, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bardie

bardie Regular member

By using the custom setting for target size in dvd shrink and setting it to 4300 mb, will this stop pixilatting and freezing?

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

If it is freezing at the end of the movie this could help.What type of discs are you using?Bad media can also cause problems.As well as too fast a burn speed or overcompression,some more details would be helpful.

3. bardie

bardie Regular member

I burn at 8x and I use an assortment of media ranging from TDK, Ul-Tran, Imation, Sony and Verbantim. All DVD+R.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

And also I only copy the movie itself, so compression is usually above 85%

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

Try burning at a slower speed (4x)What type of burner are you using?

6. bardie

bardie Regular member

LiteOn LDW_851S External

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi bardie, welcome to our little club,

You might wish to stop using the Ul-Tran and the Imation, both of them are on the, "This will mess up my DVD backups for sure." Catagory.

Also heed Wild77's advice and lower your speed to 4X.

Lastly, as the media you're using is pretty decent, why not "Bump" your "target size" from 4300MB to about 4360MB. Still not to the edge but a couple of meg's are a couple of megs.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Pete

8. bardie

bardie Regular member

Thanks Pete, I will heed your advice, use the better quailty media, lower my speed and increase target size to 4360.

And thatnks for the welcome.
    cheers,
    Pete (Bardie)

9. bardie

bardie Regular member

I just backed-up 'Bourne Supremacy' at x4 speed and it appears to be ok. This speed apears to be better then x8, so I will now do all future recording at 4x.
    Thanks for the advice.

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Hmmm, I've done over 100 burns with Imation 4xRW media, not a coaster yet!

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I was testing some "Great AZO" DVD+R's and got only 1 coaster out of the first 50 BUT the next 125 discs produced enough coasters to average out to 13% failure for the total of 175. Go figure ?

I never ever said Imation wouldn't burn, I said that they weren't of a dependable quality. One member uses only Optodisc BUT burns at 2.4X and dials his "Target size" back to 4300MB but his coaster production stays bearable.

Whatever works -

SEASONS GREETINGS everyone,

Pete

12. Noel

Noel Guest

I thought I read on a previous post of Scuba Pete that he recommended lowering the DDV Shrink size 10Mb to 4360Mb. 4300 and 4360 are a lot smaller than the maximum that DVD shrink can go to for a single layer. From memory I think the default setting is about 4460Mb. I have used that for ages and have just dialled back 5Mb from the default setting this week to see what the results are like.

I have hardly ever had problems up to now. Often use Shrink to create ISO and burn with decrypter later. A few times decrypter has failed in the verify as it has said that it could not find the TOC (table of contents?). Could the TOC be right at the disc edge and has not burned correctly? Some of the discs still play OK though even though decypter would not verfiy.

I usually try to get the RICOH media, can get it good price under the TDK brand name. Have used cheaper TDK brand name CMC discs. look identical but come in a 10 and 25 stack not individual jewel cases.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I do find this media problem most frustrating. I think that the industry needs to sort itself out & start producing quality.
    I guess until then (I don't think it will happen though as businesses seems to be more interested in making money in the short term, & screw the consumer) we have to live with their greed & incompetence.
    So there we have it, we have to just find what suits our systems & hope to God that it will work.
    I suppose this is "life as we know it Jim!"

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Noel,

Indeed I have recommended lowering the "target size" of DVD Shrink (and actually all other apps too) to 4300MB for poor media to 4360 for decent media. That's a lowering from the default of a minimum 100MB. I cannot believe that the lowering of a "target size" of 5MB would make any difference at all. When the size is lowered by 100MB the unburned area is clearly visible to the naked eye where 5MB couldn't be seen except through a microscope. When the dye application is uneven, it varies much, much more that 5MB.

I also recommend that the "verify" be "Un-ticked". Even though it is un-ticked I haven't experienced any burned disc that has failed to operate perfectly when being played.

I am pleased that you've experienced no problem with CMC discs. Being on the conservative side, I don't recommend any disc made by CMC, be it under the name of TDK, Memorex, Imation or Phillips. IMO, their quality cannot be relied upon as proven by their astronomically high CRC error rate and their failure rates in general.

We all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and I believed and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc can breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

This article was written about CD discs but DVD discs are exactly the same. I was miss-informed and this opened my eyes. Perhaps you'll find it as important as I did.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

My personal observations on this subject -
    I have had about 40 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be very sure that there are no problems. "In the Golden, Olden times," before I knew any better, the Memorex, Maxell and professional "Store Brand" discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what used before I switched to RiData and Verbatim. It is the poor quality stuff that I have been experiencing my trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Freeze" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek's, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in over 1 ½ years. I still have some backups about 90 to 120 of them done on the "cheap stuff" and, as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" (it took me some time to learn, lol) and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? Most of my backups from around December of "02" were done on the "good Stuff" and they still work fine today - not a single failure ! What about now ? Well in a very short time when the calendar changes to 2005, I'm going to run the rest of them. It's been too long and I don't want to run the risks that I've lost an original OR one has been borrowed and never returned (like that's never happened, Huh ?). That's why I do what I do.

That does not mean that other pple shouldn't use what discs they like, it means that to avoid CRC errors, I choose not to use them. As I said, I'm glad you're happy using that type of media.

SEASON'S GREETINGS

Pete

15. Noel

Noel Guest

Thanks Scuba Pete for your very informative answers. I will dial back some more than 5Mb, but with good media I think I have less than 1% failure rate even at the DVD Shrink max setting.

I have not bought CMC media deliberatly, but got a couple of stacks thinking that they were the same RICOH TDK at a cheaper price because they were not in individual cases. In Australia the CMC TDK are about AUS$1.10 each whereas the Ricoh TDK are about AUS$1.75 each. As there is not much difference, the RICOH are the way to go. I always prefer this, I want to find some genuine RITEK mail order some time.

I have only put things on the CMC DVDs that I would not be too upset if it did not play again later, but I will come back and check them again from time to time.

Its all a big learning curve, but with help from the more experienced members it is much easier.

Thanks again.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Noel,

I wish there was some truth in that BUT the media companies keep doing "change ups" on us all the times so we're always trying to find out what the latest "dope" is - Lol

All that I can promice is that we'll tell you as soon as we know - -

No matter what's true today, it may be be 180 degrees tomorrow -

Peace,

Pete