1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink?? Very Slow Reading Speeds

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by GatlinGun, May 18, 2004.

1. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

Hello!! I use Shrink/Nero 6. Since I've went to this set-up (also use X-copy plat/RF)I can play my back-ups on my Pioneer 525 DVD player, as with X-copy, I could not. My back-ups are very nice, but the problem that I'm having is that it takes my laptop way to long (over 2 hrs)to read a disc. Great forum!! Any suggestions!!

Gatway Intel Celeron 1200MHz
    1.20 GHz...512 MB of Ram
    QSI CD/DVD-Rom, SDR-083
    TDK 880n Reader/Writer 8x

2. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Check the IDE channels in device manager. Be certain that data is transfered using DMA not PIO. Check the primary and secondary channels.

3. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

321...On the Secondary IDE channel this is what it says:

DEVICE 0

Device Type: Auto Detection (not highlighted)
    Transfer Mode: DMA If Available
    Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode

DEVICE 1

DeviceType: Auto Dectection (highlighted)
    Transfer mode: DMA If Available
    Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

Please let me know if these situations are correct. Thanks!!

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

GatlinGun

The PIO settings on your DEVICE 0 is your problem. That is the cause of your slow ripping speed

Do the following :-

Start/Settings/control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ ide ata/atapi controllers. Select Secondary Ide Channel, by right clicking, then hit Uninstall. Re-boot your machine and with a bit of luck it will re-set to ULTRA DMA.

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

That's good advice by Brian100 there GatlinGun , but if that fails then maybe have a look for if there's new firmware for your DVD-Rom.

I had a problem w/ my Lite-On 165H f/w CH11 [more commonly known as JLMS XJ-HD165H] which had set itself to DMA off .... just out of the blue. Hence giving me a restiction of ripping at a speed of x2.0
    I had a look for new firmware & CH12 was available so I d/l it and flashed....problem solved [it was set back to DMA Enabled].

6. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

WIth Xcopy or any 321 product, they prefer the burner be on the Secondary IDE channel as Master not slave.

7. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

Brian, thanks for the great info. I followed your instructions, and they worked to the tee. I did the same to my desktop. You folks that share (great/right) info is what makes forums like this great.

8. brian100

brian100 Guest

Gatlingun

Im pleased it worked for you (I had the same problem earlier this year when i upgraded to a Pioneer 107d)

9. dalix

dalix Member

I have tried uninstalling the IDE ATAPI and everything is set to how you said it should be. However I am still ripping at 1.5x. Are their any ideas for an external running on a USB 2.0 card?

Thanks,

Dalix