1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrink won't copy/compress some dvds i rented!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by icefiy, Aug 31, 2004.

1. icefiy

icefiy Member

Hi all,my first time here.Nice to know there are people out there to help out.
    I wanted to get copies of old disney dvds for my daughters library so went down to the video club but alas midway thru the process all the dvds stopped copying,I guess they've been encrypted so that copying is impossible.
    Anyway i can get around this?
    p.s...i even tried a dvd decrypter but same results.
    HELP PLS!!!

2. michigan

michigan Guest

Rental DVD's are usually pretty abused and scratched badly. Tha is probably your problem. try a different video store or a friend.

3. clmetal

clmetal Member

since they are rentals you can try cleaning them with alcohol; worked for my friend.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

There is also a little unit called Skip DR.(get the motorized version) that will repair DVDs. BTW, the little fluid bottle is nothing but distilled water, so you don't have to keep buying refils.

Skip Dr. costs about 40-50.00, I got mine on ebay for 21.00 + 6.00 shipping.

5. nist

nist Member

If the movies are rented as the title suggest, then are the backups illegal!
    It is not allowed to backup rented movies due to copyright restrictions.
    /Nist
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"

6. nist

nist Member

If the movies are rented as the title suggest, then are the backups illegal!
    It is not allowed to backup rented movies due to copyright restrictions.
    /Nist
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Blockbuster now sells rental DVDs. It is not piracy to buy one of those and then back up your copy.

Under the new AD rules you are allowed to discuss this, if you feel someone is discussing piracy in a thread, you may report it to the mods and they will take appropriate action. ;)

8. gazpoly

gazpoly Member

i use dvd shrink and find its working well .other programs u need to help it work are dvd43 and patin couffin . which run in the background and eliminate the copyright protection. if the dvd is encripted save to dvd on your hard drive threw a dicriptor( the one on this site is good) and then shrink the saved file threw shrink and get rid of everything but the movie.. should work then .. good luck

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Actually shrink will rip on it's own and doesn't need DVD43. Every once in a great while if it can't then you can use decrypter to rip and run those files thru shrink.

You can do movie only by re-authoring but many wish to keep menu function which this method destroys. If you wish movie only with a menu, edit using the substitute still image method and you can have movie only or movie only with some extras and retain a working menu. :)