1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrink wont recognize dvd rom......

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by miaoreo, Mar 7, 2005.

1. miaoreo

miaoreo Member

Here's the thing... installed dvd writer in place of cd writer. Already had the ROM. Writer and Rom are on cable select. I am running Windows ME (yeah I know). Have plenty of room on the hard drive and run defrag, adaware & spybot on a regular basis. After the first 2 or 3 backups, done by putting the original in the ROM and the blank media in the burner, Shrink stopped reading the ROM. The Rom is running, the light blinks.... cant get it to stop. Dont think this really is a Shrink problem because if I put the original in the burner it works fine. Saw a thread about clearing the drive by selecting it and clicking on 'eject' but ME doesnt seem to offer that option, it has 'refresh' which I did but that didnt work. Neither does rebooting. The drive starts running and wont stop. Now I know this is being picky, but with the ROM working I can start Shrink and go off and do something else because the blank media is already in the burner. This way I have to hang around and watch it.
    Like I said I think it is a problem with the drive, but it worked for the first couple of times, and then started this behavior. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It may help to uninstall the drive through Device Manager:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm