1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrinking xvid

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by krimso, Jan 19, 2007.

1. krimso

krimso Member

i was looking for the quickest / easiest way to make an existing xvid avi file smaller. it is currently around 1.4gig, 191kbps xvid video with and ac3 audio. i would like to preserve the ac3 (will this work on xvid-enables set top boxes??), but would like to get it to around 800 - 900 megs.

i have tried with autogk, but it just seems to peter out after several hours, and not really do much (i could provide more info if you direct me to what to provide - info from a .log file, or whatever.)

i have also tried with video cleaner pro, but there seems to be no connection between the video bitrate i input and the resultant file (most often the file comes out larger, and i cannot seem to get it to preserve the ac3)

i think my preference is to go with autogk, but i need the appropriate advice to get it going. i have successfully used autogk for other purposes (adding permanent str files into xvid), but i seem to have trouble in using it to shrink files.

if there is yet another program that is preferable to use, i do not mind that.

thanks!

2. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

Get virtual dub and read some tutorials on using it (trust me, it's worth the time, it's a great program.) Recompress the movie with a lower bitrate. The xvid or divx codec will probably have a calculator where you select size and it will change the bitrate accordingly. Good luck!