1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrinking

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by vomog, Feb 26, 2005.

1. vomog

vomog Member

Hi everyone.
    I use Dvd shrink when compressing video. I like it cos I find it easy to use.What I would like to know is: is their alternative FREEWARE to shrink,and is it better?

2. billwebso

billwebso Guest

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

there are proggies out there that i havn't used/heard of, but don't care as long as i got Shrink. Why would anyone want anything else. It's kid simple for just plain movie copying, complex enough to do things like still etc. So it may not get around new-fangled protections. For that there are other (free) alternatives. But for me i like simple , simple, simple proggies.

Rich

4. vomog

vomog Member

The reason why I ask if theres an alternative is: I was told that when shrinking video to dvdshrink,try to get it below 4300. I was also told that compressing too much affects quality(obvious)I find that even taking away all extras, still leaves me above 4300.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

As long as you are not compressing over 20-25% and useing the quality settings you will probably not notice any quality loss

6. creaky

this is due to a lot of (hopefully just cheaper) media not having the dye running evenly to the outer edges of the disc or similar. I use (touch wood) hi quality Verbatim discs, but out of paranoia still have max set at 4300mb. Though cheapy discs don't necessarily only jump at the end. My take is that if the dye doesn't reach the end, who's to say the quality of rest of disc is ok. i started out using cheapy discs - never again, it's just not worth the hassle of reburning, or worse - watching a movie and the last 1/3rd skips or just stops playing

Rich

i myself have burnt 100s of movies, most i guess are 80% plus compression, though i have burnt a fair few at say 65%, even 55%. Have watched them on a huge widescreen tv, looks as sharp as a retail dvd to me.

7. vomog

vomog Member

Thanks for that Creaky. One more thing. Is there possibly any chance that sticking labels on the back of DVDs can affect the quality?

8. creaky

don't know much about the labels, you'll have to do some searching for that

Rich

9. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member