1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shutter delay on camera

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by darkradar, Oct 15, 2007.

1. darkradar

darkradar Member

I want to buy a camera but I want the smallest delay possible frpm the time I push the button and when I take a picture. I want to be able to push the button and the moment it is pressed, it snaps the picture. If possible I would like it to be a budget camera. Thanks in advance

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are a few things you will have to consider:
    1. speed of the camera
    2. read/write speed of the memory card
    3. what settings the camera can set to. (iso's)
    4. what lenses are used and it's settings!
    and other factors....

price range seems to be important, too. I use Canon 30D with very expensive lenses and CF memory cards that are expensive, too. The Memory card is so fast with it's read and write ability that it doesn't inhibit the speed of the camera.... it will allow the camera to click off 12 shot consecutively, one after the other. A smaller camera can't do this or can't duplicate this as fast as more expensive cameras can.

the smaller cameras like the Sony DSC-N2 has settings where it can snap off a picture as soon as you hit the shutter button. But if you're considering taking multiple shots all at once then you will need a more sophisticated camera like a good digital SLR!

[​IMG]

this GIF is a combination of 12 or so shots taken successively

3. Franco45

Franco45 Guest

I use a nikon D50 slr. Point and shoot will not give you a burst mode, I least I dont think they will. You have to remember lighting and the cameras settings are gng to be a factor in the shutter speed.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

read and write speed also slows down the camera! That's why I use the lastest cards by Sandisk which are lightning fast!

5. darkradar

darkradar Member

I dont have money for an slr but I bought an olympus fe-180. It's not bad, what I wanted the camera for was because I go to hockey games a lot and I've always wanted to snap a photo of the puck going in the net or the goalie saving it but when I had a cheap HP photosmart 5.0MP it took like 10 seconds to take the picture. The fe-180 is good enough, especially in the brightly lit arena, it takes the picture pretty fast. Now, I am snapping in VGA mode because I dont have a memory card. I am saving on onboard memory. I was planning to get an H XD card instead of the M XD card because of the faster writing speed and better features. But, I figure that the photo would snap fastest using the onboard memory. What do you think? Is writing to the onboard memory faster than writing to an H XD card?

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

My camera takes CF cards...... I don't know about M x cards or H x cards.

7. sparry

sparry Member

I have had a digital camera for quite a few years and only recently discovered that the reason for delay is not due to shutter speed but to the ponderous autofocus function on most, if not all of them. The trick is to hold the shutter button half way down, this will retain the focus. Press it fully as the action happens you should get the desired result. Since discovering this, thanks to an article in the Sunday Times, I have had great success.

Hope this helps.

Sparry

8. darkradar

darkradar Member

Thanks, that is a great idea. It works