1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigh!! Pioneer DVR 104 Problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Geeza, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Geeza

Geeza Guest

I have a Pioneer DVR-104 & am using Nero 5.5.10.42 & use Verbatim DVD-R (2x)

My System specs are:

Windows XP Service pack 1
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ @1.80ghz
    512Mb Ram (Crucial)
    2x 40gig HDD (Western Digital)
    Radeon 9700 Pro (Sapphire Atlantis)

My Problem?

When I compile my DVD, get all files in position (.bups, .vobs etc etc), I set
    Nero to 2x and click burn!
    Only to find that 2 out of 3 DVDs are rendered unusable, because the .VOB files
    are unreadable. This as you probably guessed is EXTREMELY annoying and somewhat
    expensive.
    I wonder if anyone else has this problem with the Pioneer drive?? & if there is
    a cure for this damned annoyance. Please Please help me - I'm starting to
    wonder whether I'm better off with another drive!!

The Firmware version is the up to date v1.41 straight from Pioneer

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

There's only a few of us here on Afterdawn that use a Pioneer 104 as far as I know.
    I've no problems w/ 104 using Nero 5.5.10.42 on a machine that has less spec than yours so I'd say that your doing something wrong in the process somewhere...
    I'm willing to help if you outline how you actually put your back up's together !

P.S. I've heard bad reports of f/w 1.41 [the worst of which is there is no downgrade at the mo]

Peace

3. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

I use the DVR 104 and haven't had a problem yet! I use all version of Nero. How are you compling the DVD are you ripping it with DVD Decryptor ?? How did you get your VOB, BUP, and IFO ??

sirmugen

4. herbsman

Yeah , you didn't mention IFO files in your original post Geeza (you had these too)?

My method of back up:
    [bold]DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One
    Nero[/bold]

or

[bold]DVD Shrink 2.3
    Nero[/bold]

5. Geeza

Geeza Guest

My Method of backing up?

Bog standard way really:

1: I use DVD decrypter (File mode) & rip all files.
    2: Then I fire up .IFO Edit(Strip files [Movieonly]Mode) to strip the films .VOB and allow IFO edit to Alter the .IFOs
    VOBU pointers thus creating the .BUP files etc.
    3: Then if the films too large - Ill use DVD2One
    to squeeze it onto 1 DVD.
    4: I fire up Nero 5.5.10.42 and just use the wizard to start a new DVD template and add all the files to the VIDEO_TS folder & click on the burn tab.

No alterations to the default settings in any of the programs I use (apart from the differant mode changes in IFO edit & Decrypter), I just can't seem to see the reason why I have so many failed burns.

Other Info:

I do have DMA enabled, but XP will not allow me to alter its settings.
    Buffer Underun does not seem to enable on DVD burning, but does on CD.
    The drive is the only one in the system (set to primary), I removed my DVDROM (JLMS LTD-163) drive after I thought it might be interfering with the recorder.
    Nero always tells me that No files are modified?? - why should nero need to modify them anywho?

Any help/advice appreciated - settings etc for Nero or any progs I use might help also - Thanks

6. herbsman

Bog Standard !! LOL

What's standard about it when you use IFOEDIT (a prog that hasnt been updated/fixed since Derrow joined DVDXCopy f**k knows how long ago...many moons anyway)

Do yourself a favour Geeza and do it the easy way.
    If you need to pull the film to virtual pieces extracting credits at the end of the film & the like...then I'd suggest DVD Shrink.
    There is apparently a new version of Shrink to come in the next week or two

7. Geeza

Geeza Guest

I have used IFO edit ever since I started Backing Up around 6 Months ago, Its only since this New system - I've had any problems - As far as I can Remember It was actually one of Afterdawns Walkthroughs some time back who actually suggested I Use IFO edit, & in my opinion & many successful burns on other systems this is a tried and tested way of backing up.
    If I rip & emmediately use DVD2One, I feel the quality suffers and bitrates worsen had i not used IFO edit.
    I will however thank you for your sceptical view of the way i back up, & will indeed try out the program you suggested.

8. herbsman

Any other Senior Member on this site I believe would have said the same thing mate...

Hope you accomplish exactly what your looking to do !: )

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Did the problem start after you upgraded the firmware or did you start having the problem earlier? My first burner (before lighting took out my computer) was a 104 and I had problems when I updated the firmware to 1.40 (would only burn Ritek G04 discs at 1x) and I ended up finding a hacked firmware that would downgrade. Not the same problem or firmware but my point is that downgrading can be done.

Apparently you've been using Nero for your backups since you started so I wouldn't think that would be the problem, but as a last resort you may want to download the RecordNow Max trial to see if it takes care of the problem. If it does you could either buy that program or figure out what you need to do differently in Nero. I've never used Nero for DVD backups because of the horror stories I saw from people trying to figure out what version and settings to use and RecordNow Max has never let me down.

I started backing up last December, and like you I used DVD Decryptor and IfoEdit. After DVD Shrink came out I started using it to rip, IfoEdit to test (using the DVD Play feature) and sometimes I have to Get VTS Sectors with the output from DVD Shrink, but most of the time I don't. I also still use DVD Decryptor for some of my ripping because DVD Shrink won't rip every DVD. I don't think this will solve your problem but I still recommend doing it this way because it's faster and you can still use IfoEdit to make sure the disc will play correctly in a standalone.

10. Geeza

Geeza Guest

I have had probs with this drive since I updated it from 1.1 (or something like that) to 1.41 upon release, It was fine when I first had It, But then it was is another PC - Since I built this one only recently & transfered the drive over & flashed the new firmware I get a 60% failure rate, & with no way to downgrade to a previous version.
    As you can emagine GRRRRR!

11. Javakiko

Javakiko Member

I've had a few probs using my 104 with variety of firmwares (1.41 is th worst!) however I found this site with firmware upgrades & Downgrades which work as i've used them on my drive (1.41 bye bye!!)

http://firmwares.co.uk/

12. Geeza

Geeza Guest

Just thought I'd let you know!

I Think I have sorted it out.

After much searching on this very site (searching just for A04), I come across various other SIMILAR (not the same) problems that I am encountering with the A04.

I found much to my suprise that all I had to do was disable DMA & use PIO mode instead (which Pioneer supposedly suggest on their website) - But! with NO failures since the change, I am quite happy!

Though really I shouldn't be - I already ordered the new AO6 drive (For a Bargain £120 GBP). So now I've got 2 perfectly good drives when I needn't have :-( Sigh - but hey - at least I can get rid of the A04 and slap in the new A06 (But I BETTER not have any problems with this one :)

Thanks for all your help guys/gals I am sure I'll see you again. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything of interest (Seeing as you were the only Forum site of any use for me!!)

13. herbsman

[bold]D'OH [/bold]

[​IMG]