1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signs a graphics card is dying

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by buhnanas, Aug 8, 2004.

1. buhnanas

buhnanas Member

How can you tell if your graphics card is dying? I have XP Pro and my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 256, had it about 4 years, a few months ago my monitor started looking crappy and then recently my screen stays normal for about 3 minutes then it starts looking like The Matrix with a bunch of random stuff on it. I don't think it is the monitor because I plugged my other one in and got the same result. Do I need a new graphics card or is this an indication of a bigger problem?

2. john179

john179 Active member

This will more than likely your graphic card needs to be replaced.If you know anyone who has a spare you can borrow you could test this in your system.Once it goes altogether your monitor will look like it is on stand by all the time just a black screen and a orange light.When your card is on its way out it will begin to do strange things as you explained.This happen to a computer at work which was a old one just used for carrier consignments and when a new card was put in all was fine again.My advise would be to invest in a new card as soon as you can.
    John179
    Ps 4 years thats some good use of a card you have well had your moneys worth out of that card good on you.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Anything dodgy and your off down the station
    [​IMG]
    John179
    Asus A7V8X-X XP2800+,2x120gb,1Gig Ram
    Ati 128mb Graphics 2 x dvd Lite-on 411S NEC 2510A
    os windows x[/small]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Whenever you start seeing random crap showing up .,.. that's definitely a sign of stuff going down the tubes :) You might be able to extend the life on that by downclocking it but that's a decision you'll have to make