1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent Hill loading error

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by av_3000, Nov 19, 2003.

1. av_3000

av_3000 Member

When I am trying to run the game, I am getting a message which says "This game requires a video card with a minimum of 32MB VRAM and programmable Vertex/Pixel Shader support. The application will now close."

I have a GeForce 4 460MX with the updated drivers. I have installed the denotaor 5.16 thing but still no luck with it.

Can anyone help me?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

As per the other thread, if the game requires a programmable shader than you cant use a GF4MX. Period. Driver versions are not going to overcome a hardware limitation.

3. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Is there any possibility that Konami could release a patch that bypasses the need for programmable shading?

4. Praetor

It is possible however HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Why? Because to do so would be to shoot themselves in the foot. Marketing-wse, what sells a game is its graphics and details. Programmable shaders allow for some seriously advanced and fancy looking visuals and to remove the requirement for programmable shaders would be to remove anything that makes a game look good. It's possible -- but i dont see it happening :|

5. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Well I wouldn't have thought that'd definitely be the case as many games have fairly good graphics without the need for programmable shading. Granted, the graphics wouldn't be AS good as a game with, but it certainly wouldn't be overly detrimental to the quality of the game. And also, it could simply be a case of if the consumer doesn't have the goods, you can play it but it won't look as good which is the consumer's own problem.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

6. Praetor

That line of thinking used to work before programmable shaders hit the mainstream (with the GF3)... nVidia made a stupid when they didnt pack the GF4MX with at least 1 (even crappy) programmable shader.

Also, that line of thinking used to work because all the games were based off one or two major graphics engines but now that programmable shaders are available and DX8+ is common, many companies have their own engines and such. YYou can always try to email the company and see where that goes.

7. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Email NVidia or email Konami? And Silent Hill 3 is the first game I've found that doesn't work because of programmable shading. Is Silent Hill 3 really that good (And I'm looking for you to lie and say no here so I don't feel bad!)

8. Praetor

Email konami. There is nothing that can be done by nVida. And "yes Silent Hill 3 really is that good"

9. MaxPowerz

MaxPowerz Member

GEFORCE 4 MX WORKING PERFECTLY!

First, download 3d-analyze v2.26 I did a google search for it and found it. Install and run.

Second, In File selection, MUST Link all three dll path, exe and pre runexe with sh3.exe

Third, In Hardware Limits(cap bits), below three options must be checked: emulate pixel shader caps,emulate bump map caps.emulate max sim textures and In anti-detect mode, two options also must be checked:shaders and textures.

and run YOUR SILENT HILL3 IN GEFORCE 4 MX CARD PERFECTLY!!
    I USE DETONATOR 45.23 version and working very well...

10. Praetor

Awesome -- from what you have described this seems to be a viable and working solution/workaround. Realize however that the duties normally performed by a dedicated programmable shader are now being done by the CPU in addition to all the other crap it has to do anyways...

In any case good job! :)

11. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Nice one! Great job. Mine works too now. Only thing is, it's really grainy the first level or so. And I mean really grainy. Is that how the game actually is or is that graphical problems again? For all I know, there may just be loads of fog in the first level!

12. Jason_voo

Jason_voo Member

I have a problem with this game....it starts.....but it crashes when it writes "this game has strong violence...blah".....it freezes!! i have a grforce fx 5200 with latest drivers
    what shall i do??

13. Praetor

What MaxPowerz was suggesting is a workaround -there are bound to be costs - and that was one of them. :S

14. Nutzies

Nutzies Member

Hi,

I have a Geforce 4 MX 440 128MB 8x AGP, which seemed like a good idea about 4 months ago when I bought it, but even with 128 on-card RAM, it still can't run SH3. The error is the same one as mentioned in this thread.

Anyways, I see that a workaround is available, but my only question is, what is DETONATOR 45.23 and is the workaround applicable for my card?

Lotsa thanks. I'm really eager to play SH3 since I don't have a PS2, and I already finished SH2 on the pc without any problems at all.

Isn't it annoying to discover that something you just recently bought is already obsolete?_

Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  15. alfonsas

alfonsas Guest

hey can anyone help me i have a problem with this game i use 3d analyze and it works but then i open the game and then it show me the woman in red picture there is one sentence about cruel, and the game stops. It break....:( What should I do???

16. Praetor

Nutzies
    Detonator 45.23 is the name of nVidia's graphics drivers, version 45.23 (a good build I might add)

alfonsas
    You may find that some games start up fine, play the intro movie and then suddenly crash. Microsoft has acknowledged this problem and released a fix for it, you can grab the fix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327979

17. Jason_voo

Jason_voo Member

i had the same problem....sentence about cruel, and the game stops. It breaks!! But i have reinstalled widows xp...with direct x 9.0b and the latest drivers from nvidia: detonator 52.?..
    and now it work just fine...no update....no 3d analize...i use ge force fx 5200.
    On windows millenium was an error saying that the game needs 32 mb VRAM and pixel programming...or something like that...but on xp...it works just fine(the way i mentioned earlyer)

18. DEATH2005

DEATH2005 Member

When I am trying to run the game, I am getting a message which says "This game requires a video card with a minimum of 32MB VRAM and programmable Vertex/Pixel Shader support. The application will now close."

i have geforce 2 mx400 and
    Can anyone help me?

19. papoys

papoys Member

I have Athlon XP 2100,512 DDRAm,Radeon 9600Pro 128MB, and also a serius problem!!!!
    Silent hills crushes at the first screen with the infoabout violence!It's just freez!This is cruel

20. Praetor