1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sim201 bl76 to bl84 ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by lenny123, Feb 11, 2012.

1. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

M8s dreambox800 has sim201 bl76a, can he flash a newer image with bl84, if not how far can he go?.........thanks

2. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

I'm on 76c & waiting for the chance to flash a new image that I've got, it's a patched image with bl84 in it, so should be ok. But ya might wanna wait for a senior member to confirm tho.

3. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

I had it confirmed as good to go, I just flashed Dream Elite Black Hole Phoenix Edition Sim2.01 SSL84 DM800HD over my sim2.01 SSL76 & all is working 100%,seems it grand as long as you have sim2.01.

4. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

yep does indeed work. very impressed with the bl84 dreamboxuk image if you want to give it a try

5. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

Funnily enough, that's the image I'm trying to flash. My usb to serial is not compatible with win7, & it just hangs with firefox,via web. Have read elsewhere that ppl have problems flashing after upgrading firefox, anyone else ??. I'll try an older version when I get the chance . I've heard it's a great image.

6. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

Yeah, I always found firefox to be hit & miss when flashing to the dreambox, I use Internet Explorer for this as it always works first time.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

likewise lenny.

8. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

lukeian5, if you are interested in this image then you can flash it wirelessly rather than rs232 cable so don't understand your issue?. only reason you would need interfaces you mention is if your box is dead in the first place?

9. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

I've tried with Firefox & IE but it just hangs after I hit flash. Will try a different version of browser & post back.

10. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

Are you sure the image your flashing has SSL84 embedded ? if not download a new version of Dream Elite Black Hole Phoenix Edition Sim2.01 SSL84 with bootloader embedded from a different source from the first one....either way try a new version of the image...I've flashed a few boxes with the image here & it works 100%

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  11. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

what luk describes is a browser issue. i have had similar with fireox and chrome so always use IE to flash boxes. the ss84 bootloader is integrated within the dreamboxuk 2.1.1a image

12. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

Cheers lenny/fint, I updated IE and it flashed first time, I did have to manually reboot tho. Anyway, it is a good image, couldn't believe how easy it was to get crossepg running with this image, after the sh*te I had trying with others. Time to mess around with buttons now to see what they do lol.....any of ye got coolman tv guide on it yet ??

ps, it is patched lenny

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

always have to manually reboot. nature of the beast. forget coolman, crossepg has never failed me and is simply the best

14. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

spose coolman is just something else that can go wrong lol

15. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

Are any of ye having issues with crossepg ?. My storage device keeps reverting back to internal flash, & I don't have an option to change it back to usb/hdd unless I reboot. Then it lasts for a few days & then reverts back to internal flash again. Both hdd/usb are mounted. Have seen a few other peeps with the same problem, but no answers.

16. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

Are any of ye having issues with crossepg ?. My storage device keeps reverting back to internal flash, & I don't have an option to change it back to usb/hdd unless I reboot. Then it lasts for a few days & then reverts back to internal flash again. Both hdd/usb are mounted. Have seen a few other peeps with the same problem, but no answers.

17. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

**Bump**

sorry for the double post peeps

18. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

luk, for example if you set crossepg to save to hdd and then the system reverts to internal flash then it would also make sense that at times you would have to reboot to get your movie listings also. i assume this is the case. to be honest i have never had the issue you mention. once devices are mounted all should be ok.

that being said i have a family member who bought a clone 800 and no matter whether he connects via the external esata port or using the internal power/sata cable (the cable is connected internally to power and sata connectors on the mainboard and fed out of the back of the box to a bare hard drive that you would find in any standard computer) he has been unable to get it to work for major duration (it does work for a while and then reboot required).

now the exact same bare hdd i put internally in my vu duo and it has not missed a beat. so if you have same issue with movie listings on your hdd i'm convinced the prob is not image related but h/w related.

19. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

@lukeian5 I have similar issues with crossepg & HDD, every few weeks I need to initalize the HDD again on the clone 800 for crossepg to download correctly.

20. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

damm, ok i'm getting slow in my old age. what i have done to get this to work on a regular basis is to setup a cron job (double blue button hit). so to start i set up a cron job at 3.55am to reboot the dm800 (which activates the hdd) then have crossepg setup to download at 4am. then i setup a second cron job to put the box back into standby at 4.10am. then all good. just been ages since i played with a dm800 so i do need time to revive memories :)