1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple challenge for the experienced only

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hrdbawl, Jan 30, 2005.

1. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Long story short, I have been using Shrink for about a year on computer "A" with no issues burning with Nero. Very rarely, I will use DVD Decryptor to rip when Shrink is copping an attitude.

I have recently purchased computer "B" offering more speed and memory bringing computer "A" to my home.

Well, I usually back up my movies now with the new computer "B", again, with Shrink and then Nero, NO PROBLEMS! However, my older computer that I have been successful with for a year was taken home and I tried to back up a movie as usual, but no dice. Here's the issue.

Shrink rip's it just fine, but when i fire up Nero to burn it, Nero doesn't acknowledge an .ISO file. I found this strange as Shrink creates an .ISO file in a specific folder I have, but not any more. Shrink is making 6 separate files ending in .I00, .I01, .I02, .I03, .I04 and .MDS. I just don't get it! I know this is simple, but I have compared the computer that Shrinking fine (as this one used to) with all the settings, and all is the same. Does anyone know why this isn't rippping in .ISO so I can burn with Nero?

By the way, I have removed and re-installed Shrink 3 times thinking this has something to do with it. No Dice!

I appreciate whomever can help.

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You either reformatted the hard drive on the old computer with a FAT 32 file system, or you are using a different hard drive or partion on that old computer, or you are now making Disc Image files on the old computer when you previously made Hard Disk Files.

New PC hard drive has a NTFS file system that can have files larger than 4GB.
    Old PC hard drive probably has a FAT 32 file system that has a 4GB file size limit.

When DVD Shrink is used make a ISO Image on a FAT 32 file system , it will make a type of split Image File that will fit in the 4GB limit, .MDS, .I00, .I01, .I02, .I03, .I04

What you can do.
    Use the .mds file that controls the split ISO Image with DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD.
    Mode > ISO > Write W
    Select .mds file.
    Use DVD Shrink in File Mode and Select backup target:
    Burn with Nero: Drive letter
    or
    Create DVD Files: Hard Disk Folder
    If you are using Windows XP or 2000 you can convert your hard drive to a NTFS file system.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

3. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Finally! I must have had NTFS before and somehow it got converted to FAT32 somehow. Go figure!

Thanks by the way. Couple of questions. You gave what looked like 3 choices as opposed to steps. My current backup is around 8.4 gig's, so can I still do this with DVD Decryptor with your directions? I'm guessing not. So this leaves me with 2 choices. Shrink or re-configuring to NTFS.

I went to the link you gave me. However, I am a little concerned to make what appears to be a big change from FAT32 to NTFS. It states that going back to FAT32 isn't possible once I go to NTFS. Are there drawbacks to going to NTFS. I know it is the wave of the future, but I'm concerned I might be sorry. Any thoughts?

4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Yes, Shrink or convert to NTFS.

You need Windows XP/2000/NT to convert to NTFS.

Things to consider when converting to NTFS.

You need free space on the drive you want to convert. Probably at least 20% free space minimum.

You should defragment the drive before converting.

You should do a complete error check on the drive with all options checked before converting.

You should backup any data that you cannot afford to lose. The conversion process has been known to fail. Probably do to not doing the things above. If it does fail you will probably have to reformat the drive and any data you did not backup will be lost.

If you also want to run another OS on that same computer, that does not use NTFS drives, ME/98/95 or Linux, you should not convert the boot drive. Instead make a new partion and format that partion NTFS.

More help.
    Start > Help and Support > Search > Convert NTFS

5. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Thanks Veblin. One question. Can you think of why this DID work not even 3-4 months ago with FAT32? I know I didn't convert it from NTFS on my own (and the link you sent me even says that isn't possible) yet it worked just fine. I ask as I tried your 1st and 2nd step you suggested and neither of them worked. I was just about to pull the trigger on the conert from FAT32 to NTFS and thought I better ask you how I was able to use shrink and backup and burn movies with my system the way it is, FAT32. Is there a chance somehting on an automated note via a download from Microsoft that could have done this? I just don't see the logic or likeliness. It is a FAT32 set up though, this I confirmed. Makes no sense. I have no problem with doing the convert, but I am a bit weery that something will go wrong as you mentioned being possible. Sorry for pounding this out, I just hate inconsistent patterns, even with computers. Thanks for whatever input you have.

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Go back to the way you were previously doing your backups. You never said why you changed your method.

7. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Actually, I never did change a thing. NOT ONE THING! All I did was relocate the box to my house and when I tried to backup a movie as usual, all this nightmare took place. That's why I headed this thread as a simple challenge, but for someone like you, a senior as whatever is staring at us isn't clear and I was hoping someone would see what the heck happened here. I even uninstalled Shrink, DVD Dycryptor and Nero and then reinstalled them thinking something got corrupted somehow, but still no dice. Any suggestions? Anyone you know that might have a feel for this one? Thanks in advance.

8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You obviously have changed your method.

For this to have worked with Nero before on this computer, with it's FAT 32 file system, you had to be making a Hard Disk Folder to burning with Nero. Either automatically or manually.

Now for some reason you are now trying to make a Disc Image File to burn with Nero. I know you never did this before, because with your FAT 32 file system, you would have always had split Disc Image Files. Nero does not burn split Disc Image Files.

If you were making a Disc Image File before then you had to be burning with DVD Decrypter and not Nero.
    Because with your FAT 32 file system, you would have always had split Disc Image Files. Nero does not burn split Disc Image Files. Only DVD Decrypter will burn split Disc Image Files. Either automatically or manually.

Now that that is settled, it brings you back to the begining. Worded slightly different.

What you can do.
    Use DVD Shrink and Select backup target:
    Create ISO image file: ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter.
    This is the automatic way to burn with DVD Decrypter.
    Or.
    Create ISO image file: ISO Image File.
    Open DVD Decrypter > Mode > ISO W
    Select .mds file to burn.
    This is the manual way to burn with DVD Decrypter.

Use DVD Shrink and Select backup target:
    Burn with Nero:
    This is the automatic way to burn with Nero.
    or
    Create DVD Files: Hard Disk Folder.
    Open Nero and burn Hard Disk Folder.
    This is the manual way to burn with Nero.

If you are using Windows XP or 2000 you can convert your hard drive to a NTFS file system.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

Option 3 is actually the best option because when done correctly it will solve your problem and allow creating a Disc Image File that you can burn with Nero.

9. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Let me first say I appreciate your help, really! I also appreciate your updated 3 option suggestion. For the record, I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm telling you, I used shrink to analyze and rip the DVD followed by Nero to burn it. DVD Dycryptor was NOT used and all of this was on the FAT32 system. I appreciate the fact that you have been working with computers a lot longer than I, but again, for the record, the process I have stated is EXACTLY how I made backup's of my past DVD's. As strange or maybe impossible as it may be, this is how it was done. I always ripped as .ISO (don't even know how to do this via file folder etc.). I say this for whatever it is worth.

I will look closer at my 3 choices that you re-typed for me in hopes one of them work. I was 1 click away from converting to NTFS after defraging and error checking and just didn't have the stones to do it in fear of a meltdown. I appreciate your assistance, really I do.

10. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

One there is a check box in shrink to allow nero compatibility make sure it's checked. DVD Decrypter should burn the ISO fine.

Good Luck

Spacedust..

11. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

SpaceDust is correct - somewhere in Shrink there is a box to check that allows burning with Nero after encoding with Shrink.

One of my computers is a P3 Win98 machine, that only uses FAT32 since Win98 predates NTFS. Anyway, I regularly use Shrink to read disk, then Shrink gives me options to encode and save to file folder, encode and save to ISO image, encode and burn using Nero, or encode and burn using Decrypter. If I have to select a file to burn for some reason, I select the MDS file.

I wouldn't, under any circumstances other than last resort, try to convert an existing FAT32 file format drive to a NTFS file format - you're really asking for problems of all sorts. Just make what you already have work if you can.