1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple DVD burning --- MPEG ripping

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by cmarucco, Jun 10, 2002.

1. cmarucco

cmarucco Guest

OK, FIRST, I just started Netflix and I want to burn the dvds to cd-r's...atleast rip them to my hard drive if nothing else. I have Nero 5.5.8.2 and Adaptec 5 Platinum Ed., so I think I am good for burning software. I heard you can rip the DVDs with Nero, but am not sure. Also, I heard that you can convert them into to VCD's that will play in any DVD player. Please tell me where I am right and where I am wrong. A detailed guide would be very helpful.
    NOW, SECOND, I want to rip music videos off of the TV and onto my hard drive to burn onto CD-R's to play in my Jeep's in-dash DVD player. I have a video input in the back of my laptop, so does that mean I am good for a tv tuner card...or do I need one of those at all? What is good software for ripping the MPEG music videos off of the TV? Please help me...and I am sorry to trouble you all with such remedial material, but your help will be ever so appreciated. Thanks, Charlie Marucco.

2. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

Hey I don't think you can do any ripping with nero, but I could be wrong. I use claddvd xp 1.3 for ripping and it works fine and I find it easy to use.

As for capturing mpeg 2 format to your hd I use powerdirector 2.0 DE or the full version. This came with my dvd-r burner and can capture in mpeg1/mpeg2/avi for vcd/dvd/vhs or dv. It also has a disc creation wizard so you can make dvd/vcd/svcd/mini dvd. you can also make picture slide shows. It allows you to make custom menu's and buttons. THe quality of your capture depends on the speed of your cpu and hd which is explained in the read me files of the program. As for a capture card I'm not sure if your laptop can do all this from a video in. I'm shure that there is a pcmcia card for this purpose. What ever you do don't use those usb style capture devices as I heard that the quality is really bad due to the compression needed to send the streem through a usb connecton.

Hope this helps.
    P.S. Make shure your player is compatible with cdr/wr and dvd-r/wr before you spend any money!

3. gt_wreck

gt_wreck Member

the real question is if you wish to use the cds in a dvd player or vcd player. if you wish to do either then you will have to encode it in either mpeg1 for the vcd player or the dvd player or mpeg2 for the dvd player. if not then it is much easier to download dvd2avi and the divx encoder and use both to encode your video. if so, use dvdx, but remember that dvdx does tend to accellerate and decllerate areas of the video.