1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple, effective, damn fine quality DVD2 DivX

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by shorty2k, Mar 11, 2003.

1. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

Ok, ok let me say that after reading, some of the users methods of ripping DVDs to divx, i can't help but wonder, that different people have some bizzare way of doing it, although i'm not suggesting its a bad way maybe it works for them, but i tend to think that the less you encode from one format to another the better the end quality.

This is how i do it, very simple and the end result is as good as the orginal!
    Ok first,
    rip DVD2 Hard drive about 15 minutes,

next use DVD2AVI using dixX codec (i suggest divx pro 5.03), Depends on the quailty settings and speed of your computer, for me it takes 1.5 times the length og the movie(almost realtime!)

next use Virtualdub and set video to direct steam copy and set audio to full processing, and then just choose your audio compressor, (i suggest mp3) then hit save, this takes a couple of minutes and BOBs your uncle you have a Divx movie!!!!!!

This is the fastest way and yeilds some really good quality if done corredctly, the only other way to do it faster, would bo to get a full sized capture card (720*576) and get DVD player, get one of those SCART to S-Video connectors, connect to computer, and use a cature program (such as flycap, freeware!!)and set your compressor to divx and mp3 for your audio and hit play on yor DVD player, and hit record on your computer, enjoy your movie at the end hit stop and you have a full ready to go divx movie!!!, can it get any simpler?

please reply back i would like to see if other users agree or not.

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The faster way is to use Vidomi m8. Rip the dvd, open Vidomi, load the ifo, off you go.
    The first time you run Vidomi you have to input all your video&audio settings.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  3. sebi2205

sebi2205 Member

i personally haven't tried vidomi yet, but I always wanted to...

btw,same thing with flaskmpeg, just insert dvd, set all options and hit it, good thing is that you can put in subtitles as well...

i use the low-motion-codec to encode, which is always a nifty thing

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  5. sebi2205

sebi2205 Member

thx dude

6. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

I use DVD::RIP under linux. It takes about 6 1/2 Minutes to rip and about 2-3 hours to enconde depending on quality desired. It work great and the price is right-----FREE.

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

DVD rips depend on how fast the dvd-rom can rip the dvd. Toshiba's are slow, LiteON's are blazin' fast.

Shoey

8. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

Also helps when using Cheatah SCSI hard drive and 1.5 gig of ram and dual cpus.

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I agree m8.

Shoey

10. I'm_here

I'm_here Member

I'd go with divx video duplicator... it's quite easy (put a dvd, press extract, then encode) only one prog to do it all, but it costs money...

U guys should try it... But it was made by french so maybe it will be hard to find a site in english but the app can the installed in english (if I remember correctly)... :)

11. folio

folio Member

this is a question for shorty2k.
    if you could i'd appreciate it very much if you could give us a detailed explantion on how you convert the ripped dvd using DVD2avi(settings using Divx 5.0.3 pro etc...then how to use virtual dub?!? ive not used these programs as yet and would really like to try your method out. Be great if you could you give a detailed run step by step through of what settings to use in DVD2avi and Virtual Dub, the ripping i know about....much appreciated and eagerly awaiting your reply..! by the way how big is the final file for a 120 min film!?!?!
    cheers
    folio

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

DVD2avi and Virtual Dub are included in the program Gorian Knot. Why not then use Gordian Knor or Vidomi to make dvd2divx backups?

Gordian Knot:http://www.doom9.net/
    Gordian Knot guide:http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/gordian_knot_ac3.cfm
    I personally recommend Vidomi. I've been backing up dvd2divx for almost a year and Vidomi produces astonishing video playback! :)

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2003
  13. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

from Shorty2k, date 27 march 2003, to FOLIO,

i'm sorry that i cant give you a deatiled explantion right now, but i promise you i WILL post one very soon, so dont think i've forgotten about you!

my replys can take some time, beacuse i dont always have access to the internet!!

14. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

hey man i'm very sorry about the late response, i've just got a little

better from a very nasty flu,

anyway as promised :-

after you have ripped the required movie files on to your hard drive
    next boot up your dvd2avi program

(1) click on file open, then click on .vob files (your ripped files)
    if you click one of the vob files they should all be loaded automatically,

you should be able to see them on the file list, just click ok.

(2)on the audio menu, set the output method to 'dedcode to WAV'

(3)click on save avi, give your moive a name,

(4) a box should appear under the name of'Video Compression' by default the

compressor is set to 'no recompression' you should change this by clicking on

it you will get a drop down menu from the menu choose the divX codec

compressor, and if you want to change the configurations of the compressor
    you can just press the configure button.

(4a) after pressing the configure button set the bitrate to what ever value

you want depends on the qauilty/ and or size of the final movie, get your

self a bitrate calculator or just do a one minute test video and just see

have big that is.
    set the Psyhovisual Enhancements to strong,
    set the Perfromance/Quality to slowest,
    set the Source as progressive,
    press ok

(5)press ok in the video compressor box,

(6) wait (*this can take a long time depends on the perfromance of your

computer and setings) you may also like to set the preview and display on in

the options menu.

(7) when the program has finished, you should now have two files, one movie

.avi and one audio .wav now play them just to check their working/ and or

qulity,

(8)load up virtaul dub

(9) go to file open video file, select your movie file

(10)click on audio and then click on wav aduio then select your file audio

file.

(11) select full processing mode in the audio menu

(11a) under the audio menu in the compression section select the mp3

compressor, then click on the 128kBit/sec, 48,000Hz, stereo in the box to the

right.

(12)in the video menu select direct stream copy

(13)click on file save avi, give the movie a name (not the same as the one

you already have other wise you'll end up deleting that your working on)

(14)wait a few minutes and hey presto!! you should now have a full Divx

moive,

all you have to do now is delete the unneeded files and burn your final movie

file or what ever you wanna do with, anywayz Good luck hope this helps

Oh yes one more thing you do need to have both divx and mp3 codecs installed

onto your computer in the first place!! :)

hey man ley me know how u get on yea?

15. folio

folio Member

thanks shorty2k, will try your method out later, the thing is itll be ok with Divx 5.0.2 Pro codec yeh!?! been using vidomi and getting good results as well...must say that the divx 3 still gives out fine quality as well..! cheers for the helping hand and tips!
    folio

16. folio

folio Member

message to Shorty2k! hope you recovered from the flu ironically enough i got it now!! got a question regarding part of your guide that you posted recently. when you say "on the audio menu, set the output method to 'dedcode to WAV'"
    in DVD2Avi theres no such thing in its menu?!? and when you say "a box should appear under the name of'Video Compression' by default the
    compressor is set to 'no recompression' you should change this by clicking on
    it you will get a drop down menu from the menu choose the divX codec..."
    Video Compression thats is also not in Menu of DVD2Avi??!? Do you mean after the DVD2avi file is made and i open it up in Virual Dub!?! Cos this part of your guide i dont understand, neither the word WAVE or VIDEO COMPRESSION appear in the program DVD2avi??! hope you can help me out here cos im intrigued by your method...furthermore...can it work for making 1 cd copies of a 2 hr film...near DVD quality...cos i know Gordian Knot can give excellent results with 1 cd and 2hr movies..using the Divx 5 pro codec,....cheers again for the help..
    folio

17. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

shorty2k, I noticed a similarity between your method and the one I'm using. At the point where you start VirtualDub and mux the .avi and .wav files, when you watch the final output, does the movie, every 10mins or so, fast forward for a split second? I've had that problem joining .avi's and .wav's with VirtualDub and was wondering if you did too and if you'd found a way to correct it. Thanks.

18. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

to PopWeasel, (and Folio next section)

i think i know what what you mean, but only seems to happen to me if i try to forward or rewind the movie, if i just let the movie play it works jus fine, i'm not sure but i think the reason why it sometimes fastforwards could be a number of reason, one reason could be beacuse decoding divx is very cpu intensive and requires the cpu attention, so try and shutdown un needed programs and even folders, and also how fast is your PC?,

the other reason could be the 'keyframes' try setting to a lower number it may help but you might end up with slightly bigger file, and try also the bicubic resize down to 352 by 288 instead of full dvd frame size(704 by 576)that will help the movie perfomance a lot.

To Folio,

i dont know if your using the same dvd2avi program as me, i'll try and find the website where i downloaded my version from, then at least i'll know for diffinate that we are both talking about the same program, sorry i cant remember the web site form the top of my head, i'll look around!

19. folio

folio Member

thanks Shorty2k, i think you might be talking about Virtual or Nandub, cos in DVD2aVI 1.76 there is no option with "Decode to Wave"?? unless its an older version of DVD2Avi?!?! ive tried one way of encoding thats similar to yours but the only difference is i use nandub to mux avi and audio?? is virtual dub any better in muxing??! cheers waiting for your reply on identifying the program!?! all for now
    folio