1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIMPLE GUIDE - MOST DVD-9 MOVIES TO ONE DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sublime77, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Skillet

Skillet Member

Nevermind I figured out my stupidity.

2. Skillet

Skillet Member

All right. I have gotten to the burning part of the process and the total file size is 4,092MB. My DVD+R is 4.7GB. What is the problem? It says the medium required is DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW. And mine is a DVD+R. Help.

3. Skillet

Skillet Member

All right. When I try to burn it says that it is not cd-recordable. But it is a DVD+R. What is the problem with this stupid thing?

4. dipstick

dipstick Member

Skillet, I have had this happen to me. Have you used that DVD media before? If it is your first time using that media, it may not be compatible with your burner. I made that mistake the first time buying DVD+RW. I thought that buying any type of DVD+RW was ok until it said in small print on the back, ( Only compatible with these dvd burners.) Always make sure that the media list has your burner type on the box. Hope this helps.

5. yruz

yruz Member

why aren't there any DVD9 (with 9gb of storage) mediums for burning (either + or -)out yet?

6. dipstick

dipstick Member

Yurz, There are disc's out which have 9G of file space (Mass Media). The only thing is; you will pay about $8.00 a disc and about $2000.00 for a burner.

7. framerman

framerman Regular member

@gbnw28178

Usually, if you're in an english country, the 0x80 stream is automatically checked. Should be the very first one. You can uncheck all the subtitles, but you won't gain that much space, and it's nice to know what Brad Pitt says in Snatch. The other audio is not necessary in 99% of the time. French, german, directors cut: don't really need them unless you speak these languages.

@yruz: Most of the dvd burners out there won't burn to dual layer dvd's. The amount you'd spend on the discs would be about the same amount as buying the actual movie all over again, so why bother?

@carswell: You can split the disc or reencode the video stream. If you choose to reencode, there is alot more headaches for you to come. You have to split the video and audio stream in dvd2avi (or something similar), reencode to a lower bitrate (which can take a really long friggin time), strip out the subtitles, and resave your cell times for your chapters, and then remux everything back together. Then if your really lucky, your audio will be in sync. But, you can get 2 hour movies back onto one dvd5 disc without sacrificing any quality whatsoever. Much better than getting up in the middle of the movie just to put the 2nd disc in.

@Sublime: The only thing I see that might be a little confusing (but not really wrong in your method) is that you should also rip the video_ts.vob also. Some movies don't come with that though, but I don't really want to confuse anyone here either.

8. 54321

54321 Guest

works great sublime77

nice one shame it wont play on all players but then you cant be choise.

when adding files to folder found if folder is bigger than 5Gb's then its time to choise a never method as you will be just wasting time with ifoedit.

thanx

9. Skillet

Skillet Member

I got it all figured out. Everything is working wonderfully. Thanks for the help everyone.

10. stagfish

stagfish Guest

you can get a dvd that the main movie is less then 5.1 gig cause ifoedit takes about 3/4 of a gig away and then adds back a bit before burning , check men of honor , the main movie is 5047 and finishies at 4.6 , my princo hold 4.7 gig and they only cost .79 havent had problems with them yet and made about 50 so far!!

stagfish

11. rpf717

rpf717 Member

First off, Sublime77_ thank you for this. I'm burning DVD's for the first time today and I followed it easily with only a small question at the end.

You say: "Now click the button "set VTS sectors". After this is done, you are ready to burn."

It is at this point where I'm confused, as the guide didn't mention the following windows/senarios that popped up.

I have a button that says "get VTS sectors" is this what you mean? I clicked on it, and it asks: "Do you want to process ALL IFO files? ATTENTION: this will automaticaly re-save IFO files" I clicked yes, and then attempted to close IFOEDIT. It then prompted me to save my changes, so I did.

I then burned the DVD. It works fine in my DVD burner, but my Xbox won't read it. I burned it with Maxell DVD-R in a Pioneer 105 at 1X. All the DVD5's I have burned, work fine in the Xbox.

Did I make a mistake with the "get/set VTS sectors"?

Again, thanks so much for your help

12. Skillet

Skillet Member

Does anyone know if Playstation 2 will play DVD+RW's?

13. daveee

daveee Member

Woops bad post

Last edited: Dec 31, 2002
  14. sublime77

sublime77 Member

It is Get VTS Sectors. Sorry. Try the DVD in another DVD player, preferrably a newer one. Xbox may not play that brand of media or it may not copy any DVDR media. I don't have xbox sooo I don't know. Glad I could help you.

15. samq

samq Guest

I really appreicate your guide. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. you say you also need to rip the "video ts.ifo & video ts.bup" files. In dvd decrypter it highlights the main files, when i click on the above files to add the main files become un highlighted. is there a way to highlight al files at once?
    Thanks,

16. framerman

framerman Regular member

When you're in file mode, just rip the highlighted ones first. Then after those are done ripping, just select the others.

17. daveee

daveee Member

OK guys- Im a bit stuck- Trying to backup movie Monsters Ball. Ripped using DVD Decrypter. I now have 8 files Called
    MONSTER'S BALL.ISO 7.1GB
    MONSTER'S BALL.MDS 5KB
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VIDEO_TS 40MB
    VTS_01_0 340MB

I open VTS_01_0.ifo and go to strip stream as recommended but I get the error "No Nav pack found in VOB file. Invalid VOB file".

Any ideas where Im going wrong? Has it ripped properly? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

-V- Thanks Framerman- My 1st attempt, so ill give it another go ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2003
  18. framerman

framerman Regular member

It looks like you might have ripped twice. Your iso file is an exact image of the disc. Thus it is not necessary to have the other files. But! Your file is too big to fit on a dvd, so you might as well just delete it and start over. Sorry.

When you pressed your tvs_01_0.ifo, it was looking for the main movie vob's which you don't have. Thus the error you received.

Rerip your movie in file mode only in your case. Rip out exactly the files that sublime77 said to. Then open up ifoedit and select your main movie ifo do do your stripping.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

re:rpf717

I also can not play my dvd backups in my xbox. However, my xbox is modded with a matrix mod chip and i also upgraded my harddrive to a 40GB and have an extra 60GB i am dropping in the next xbox i buy.

What i have heard is that its the xbox's dvd drive. The first xbox's dvd drive was very picky with media, however, you can replace teh factory dvd drive with a pc dvd drive taht will read more types of dvd media.. but again, i cannot confirm or deny this.
    When did you purchase your xbox?

peace
    seamonkey420
    -note.. looking for full newbie guides to dvd-9 to dvd-5 or xbox matrix mod chips? check out my site:
    http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420

20. cowboysno

cowboysno Member

Sublime,
    Thanks for the great guide! I do have a problem though, I did everything according to your guide and had no problems at all until I tried to burn the files to the DVD-R. I had all the files that I wanted to burn, in the proper window, and clicked burn. It then said "DVD-Video Rellocation Failed" in the log, it said that the file, "VTS_01_05.VOB" was not located. There was no VTS_01_05.VOB file for the movie I tried to burn "Hoosiers". After it says that the DVD-Video Rellocation Failed, it asks me if I want to burn the DVD anyway but it might be unplayable. I click no and have been trying to figure out what the problem is. If anyone could help me out that would be great, thanks!