1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simply: What is the best Mod Chip out there.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by gimp_15, Apr 16, 2003.

1. gimp_15

gimp_15 Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm sure this is a question that you are probably sick of seeing, but I'm wanting to buy a mod chip - but there's so many conflicting opinions out there, it's just totally confusing to anyone like me trying to start out.

DMS3 V2 or Magic 3.6 - are ones I'm leaning towards. I'm on a V7 Console, PAL(EU) system, wanting to import cheap Games/DVD's from Asia.
    Messiah 2 is also appearing a lot.

[bold]WHAT IS THE BEST CHIP OUT THERE ? [/bold]

Is Magic 3.6 a newer version of the 3.1 - or is it just the same but with less Sauldering of wires ?
    [/bold]

Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers
    G-Man !

2. Timmay

Timmay Guest

DMS3 has the most potential, but I don't think the bugs have been totally worked out. A magic 3.6 is the 3.1 with a shitty clip. The Messiah 2 Pro is the best and most consistent. The reason you don't see too many threads on it is because don't have problems with it as much as others. I have a Messiah2 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

3. bodul67

bodul67 Regular member

I would have to agree that the DMS3 still might have a few bugs in it. As for the Magic3.6 - it's the Magic3.1 with a clip to cut down the soldering from 22 wires to 9 wires. But people have had problems with the clip coming loose after the PS2 was put back together. I have PS2 V4 and the Magic3.1 from modchip.ca and never had any problems. I play all PS2 & PS1 originals and all CD-R and DVD-R back-ups. Hope this helps.

4. gimp_15

gimp_15 Member

Thanks a millions lads.

So the Messiah 2 pro is the way to go so.

Do you know of a site I can buy one (Europe) and not pay a fortune on shipping ?

I'm mailed modchip.com last week, and haven't heard anything back from them yet. Have seen some bad review about them.

Thanks again,
    G-Man.

5. telescope

telescope Regular member

keep me posted

6. cozmo2

cozmo2 Member

Here is my say in this matter. I read post from about 6 different forums on xbox and PS2 modding. I see people post all of the time how much they love this chip and that chip and why this one is better etc... The thing is that most of the post are "I have this chip and it works great for me, I never had any problems, so it must be the best right"? This is how it is, plain and simple. I have installed mods for some time now and I have multiple units, 2 XBOXs, 3 PS2s, 2 Dreamcasts, 3 PS1s, and 2 GBAs. In my PS2s, I have a V3(Messiah 2 pro), V5 (Magic 3.1), and V7(HK Messiah and a magic3.6 at one time). When people ask me which chip do I reccomend, I ask them what do they want and what are they willing to live with as far as button sequence. This is all I see in the chips that are different. My PS2s boot everything and do not freeze at all. If you install any of the chips right, they do what they say. Some have to be taken to standby for every situation and others don't, but they all work. None overheat if you install correctly and route wires efficiently. So with all that said, if you have a good installer, I would go with the cheapest original ver chip. I can say that because I know my chips are installed correctly because I do them and I have no problems with any of my customers except with the clips. I have over 30 magics and 10 messiahs under my belt with no problems. Most installer do not test properly either because they are trying to do as many as they can. I do this for a hobby. I test for 6 hrs. 2hrs running KHearts, then power off and run LOTRTT for 2hrs. I turn off for 1 hour and then run SCalibur2 for 2hrs with no problems.

7. lumlum

lumlum Member

If you are in England, www.mrmodchips.co.uk is good and cheap.

They also have a fitting service.

Hope this helps.