1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

single sided/double layer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by laguck, Apr 13, 2004.

1. laguck

laguck Member

We are trying to copy disks that are higher capacity than 4.7 GB and our goal is to stay single sided. I am told there is a single sided, double layer disk made that is 7.9 GB. Is that true and are there any other options.

Thanks.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi laguck, The dual layer blank media you are talking about is just starting to show up on the market. It requires a dual layer burner also. If you can find the blanks they won't work on the present single layer burners. You need to download DVDShrink (free) and then get the guides from the tab at the top of the page. This will let you compress a large 7-9 gig dvd to fit the 4.7 gig blanks. This is the most common way of burning dvd's at this time. This should get you started, then come back if you have problems.

Jerry

3. laguck

laguck Member

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your original reply. I kind of just got stopped in my tracks with my first try with Shrink.
    got an error message "DVD Shrink encountered an error and can't continue." "Invalid DVD Navigation Structure". This is a 7.52 GB disk we are tying to copy. Iomega drive, we have HotBurn installed. Do I need to do anything special with it? These are data disks wiht some drawings on them too.

Thanks,
    Rob

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

So this isn't a movie you're trying to back up? If this is the case then that's the reason Shrink is giving you an "invalid file structure" error - Shrink only handles movies :)