1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sister's Vaio notebook just crapped out, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by OU812Ono, Mar 3, 2005.

1. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Hey guys, I have never owned nor repaired a laptop. My sister always comes to me with software issue's and the such. Today she came over and wanted me to show her how to configure/enhance the Firefox browser I set her up with. I go to turn the thing on and nothing happens, no flashing lights,no fan, nothing at all. I tried taking out the battery and reseting through the button on the bottom to no luck. Tried running it directly off of wall-power supply, nothing. After several hours of letting it sit plugged in I noticed the battery was not even the slightest bit warm. I pulled out the DVOM and I have 19.5v's coming from the power inverter "the correct listed voltage output".

If this was a battery problem shouldn't connecting to the wall plug bypass this? Also I have read issue's about the #2 memory chip going bad, tried that for the hell of it, still nothing. I'm led to beleive it has to be something to do with the power supply, possibly the charging port has gone bad?? I am a complete newb when it comes to this sorta stuff. I have repaired/replaced components on the computer's I have owned but never touched a laptop's guts. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Yall have never let me down before and mind you I have been researching this all day, as well as emailed Sony "I'm sure they'll be loads of help,send it in....."

If anything does anyone know how to recover the data from one of these things? All of her college work is on it and it's very sensitive/important stuff. Does it have a standard HDD?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

possiblity board is gone or the power connecter might have a cold solder joint & no it is not a standard hd but a 2.5" hd. get an external usb 2.5" enclosure to mount drive in to access info on it

3. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Just an update, called a tech friend of the family. He said to disconnect the power supply/battery and hold the power switch down for 2 minutes. IT WORKED! Sony suggested to hold down for 30 seconds, what a difference 90 seconds made. Well from all that I've read about these notebooks I'm backing up her data and suggesting a different brand.