1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sixaxis PS3 controller problems

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Kratos23, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Kratos23

Kratos23 Member

Does anyone else think that the sixaxis controllers are kind of crappy? My right analog stick keeps gettings stuck in the down position every now and then. Is this happening to anyone else?

Let me know what you guys think about the controller.

2. nottyer

nottyer Member

no, mine dose'nt do that, but i have noticed mine is a bit creeky, i played about on my friends, and his was fine!

3. Kratos23

Kratos23 Member

i dont know why mind does that, but it makes me mad when it gets stuck.

4. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

I remember having that prob with my ps2 controller, what happens is when you rotate the analog stick around the casing (the edge that shapes the circle) it slowly grinds away at the center part of the stick. After awhile the grinded away plastic will start to build up in the form of a white dust causing the analog stick to get stuck.
    Best you can do is monitor the amount of dust there is and try to blow/wipe as much of it out as possible.

5. Kratos23

Kratos23 Member

that is exactly what is happening. I've been playing fight night round 3 which you have to do a lot of rotating of the analog sticks. Is there anyway to clean it out/ fix the problem?

6. Nation559

Nation559 Member

i play resistance and my controller right analog stick has squeaked like crazy and up to the point where the stick is so sensitive that its affecting my gameplay.

im on my second controller and possibly my third. is this common?

7. Kratos23

Kratos23 Member

Thats what im trying to find out. Its affecting my game play too.

8. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

I find more issues with the sixaxis part of it not working right. You'll play a game that requires the sixaxis, it says to tilt the controller forward, you do so, and it doesn't detect it. Or it detects it as you flipped it backwards etc.. I find that it's extremely unreliable. I have numberous controllers and the same results with all of them. Each time you try to do the sixaxis move, you have a 50% chance at it accepting the command you gave it for controller tilting. I've tried everything from tilting it slightly, to extreme. Fast to slow. doesn't seem to make a difference.

9. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

I've had no problems at all with my SIXAXIS are you sure you tilting it the right way? in Motorstorm to steer you lift one hand higher than the other to lean.

The only thing to do would be to unscrew your controller and give it a clean out and hope it works, if not ring Sony and hopefully they will replace or fix your controller.

10. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

As I said, it does that with all controllers and I've had the problem since day one with every one. They work, but not as reliable as I'd like. I originally discovred it on Marvel. I had to disarm a bomb, and to do so you had to move the controller in different combinations. And each time I got to where I had to tilt the controller forward, I'd do so, and it wouldn't detect it, and I'd fail to disarm the bomb. It took me 10+ tries before it finally detected I had tilted it forward and I was successful. Other times, tilting forward is always picked up, but tilting left, or some other direction isn't detected, or I'll tilt it left and it thinks I tilted it forward. It just doesn't seem that reliable.

11. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

You might be getting AXIS' mixed up,e.g or instead of having to tilt the controller forward you might to jab the whole thing forwards. Took me a while to sort using to steer in Motorstorm because I was using it more like a steering wheel so it only just picked up on my movements.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  12. Nation559

Nation559 Member

im playing resistance online and i put lots of hours into it but it shouldnt be so cheap that i go thru two of them already

13. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Have you tried sending them back under warantee.

14. Nation559

Nation559 Member

i just been returning them to the store for another one. its just a pain to do this every month or so.

15. Kratos23

Kratos23 Member

this is the one that came with my ps3. I bought and extended warranty from wal-mart, would that cover the controller or would i have to exchange it for a whole new unit?

16. jbthegrt

jbthegrt Member

Thats hilerious I have the EXCACT problem. Its when u have to fix up ur guys' face in between rounds right

17. jbthegrt

jbthegrt Member

I also notice that when I play resistance online and I have to shake the controller cause ive been tagged or on fire that the controller feels like its gonna split into two

18. escalante

escalante Regular member

Lmao. So that's how you take off the fire? Didn't know that.

I personally don't really have a problem with the controllers. I have two of 'em and they work fine. The only thing is that when I press L3 to talk on Resistance the little mic doesn't appear and I can't talk. Takes a couple of tries to get it working.

19. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I suprized they are so bad, as the design is the same as the PS2 ones, so you thought they would all ready know all the problems, unless they are using cheeper components.

Can't you take the one you got with the PS3 back to the shop where you got the spare, or do they log the serial numbers. I know its a bit cheeky, but the shop will send them back to sony. so sony will still be replacing them, just via a different route.

20. Kratos23

Kratos23 Member

yeah the ps2 controllers are way sturdier than the ps3 ones. They seem liked they used a cheaper plastic making them.