1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Size always zero when encoding

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by trippyD, Mar 15, 2003.

1. trippyD

trippyD Member

Hi there. I have this strange problem that I hope you can help me with.

I'm using mpeg2avi to encode a list of vob files. I'm pretty sure that I followed the instructions on Nicky's Solutions properly, but despite this, the file just won't encode...

When I click on 'Create my AVI' in the mpeg2avi gui, it pops up a window for which encoder I want. So I select Divx 5.03 and click OK (after fiddling with bitrates, etc). Then another window shows up with the progress. But the 'written to avi' amount stays at zero. Time is elapsing and the average FPS is changing (so it's not frozen), but nothing is written to the avi.

I've tried encoding small sections to make sure it doesn't just write everything in the end, but the resulting avi is simply 0 bytes. I'm using PX3's mpeg2avi version 0.16c. I've tried it with the original mpeg2avi 0.16b35, but to no avail. DivX 4.12 doesn't work either..

I can watch movies encoded with DivX, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the codec. I just don't know... I'm pretty new to this stuff so maybe I'm missing something really obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roy

2. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

trippyD,
    I'm not familiar with mpeg2avi as I use DVDx, but it sounds like your problem could be caused by how you're configuring the DivX codec settings, of which I AM familiar. What you might try, just as a test, is set the DivX configuration to 1-pass and encode just a minute or so of your movie. Then check your output file to see if it is playable.

If you are trying to encode using multipass (which is what you should be doing) but not doing it correctly, it can leave you with an unplayable file. So, all other things remaining equal, let's see if you can get a good encode with just single-pass first.

Let me know how you get on.

3. trippyD

trippyD Member

Hello PopWeasel, thanks for replying. I tried to encode with 1 pass and it seems to work.. (yay), but it takes forever to encode just 100 frames.

stranger still, it doesn't show any progress at all while it's doing it. just suddenly, it closes, and the file is there.. (!)

like u said, there's probably something wrong with the configuration of the codec. i'll stuff around with it for a while, and if i get it to work, i'll write it here.

thanks again.

4. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

trippyD, video encoding is time-consuming work! What are the specs of the computer you're using to do the encoding with?

I'm not sure whether or not you can do multipass with mpeg2avi as I haven't used that program, but the settings to use are: during the first pass it should be Multipass - 1st Pass in the DivX dialog. During 2nd, 3rd, etc.. passes it should be Multipass - Nth Pass in the DivX dialog. After you do your first pass of multipass, you will not be able to watch the video. Only after the Nth pass has completed will you be able to watch it.

Hope this helps. :)