1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Size of subtitles, audio etc..?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by slickster, Nov 3, 2002.

1. slickster

slickster Member

HI.

I'm trying to calculate the size of my movie files after the extras and redundant data are stripped out.

What size is a typical subpicture?

What size is the typical dobly 6ch audio for 120mins?

Thanks

2. forker

forker Member

slickster - you could figure this out yourself by stripping a 6-ch audio from a 120 min DVD and subtracting the new size from the original size. Same with subtitles. If you do this, please let the rest of us know. I might be stripping a 2-ch audio from Mallrats, so I'll let you know the size change.

3. forker

forker Member

Here's what I have ripped:

from approx 120 min video I ripped a 6-ch audio, a 2-ch audio, and a subtitle. This took the size from 4.61 GB to 4.27 GB. I am guessing that the subtitle takes up very little space. If we utilize a little algebra to figure out how much each stream channel is, I get 338MB = 8x, so each channel is 42.24 MB, so if you rip a 6-ch audio from a 120 min film it will save about 253 MB, and a 2-ch audio will save about 85 MB. None of this is for sure, because I ripped both audio streams and a subtitle stream, so it's all guess. If anyone else rips a single stream, PLEASE POST THE RESULTING CHANGE IN SIZE!