1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sketchy playback and freezing

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by blueguy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. blueguy

blueguy Member

I have tried burning dvds with shrink and when i play some of them on my stand alone dvd player it gets sort of broke up in places and sometimes freezes for a moment then will begin playing again.
    I then trie the burnt dvds on my computer and I get amasing quality and no freezing.My dvd playing is of newer quality and the dvds that i am burning do not have scratches on them.Also i notice that the dvds that come out of my dvd player are very hot and the ones that come out of my computer are not. I know this is sounding like it is my dvd player but I have burned many dvds and only a few do it.There was no errors reading or any problems burning whatsoever. Any help is much appreciated.

2. hd517

hd517 Member

i dunno dude. i burned the movie "saved" with Dvd Decrypter and Dvd Shrink and it plays perfectly on my ps2, no freezing, glitches, no nothing. But when i brought it over my GFs house and put in her brand new dvd player, it was skipping and not looking good,keep in mind , my disc is clean, so it might just be the dvd players and if not, maybe its your media, what are you using memorex? i higly reccomend other brands like TDK and Ridata, ect.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  3. blueguy

blueguy Member

I have been using Hyundai. I haven't heard any positive or negative remarqs about them. Not to sure on what to do because i invested all this time and money and now I am stuck with a whole bunch of dvds that play good on my computer but not on my tv where I would prefer to watch them.

4. ShatterBx

ShatterBx Member

What speed are you burning at? 8X, 6X, 4X? I use TDK I've had a problem with it stopping and jumping back a chapter...I burned at a slower speed 4X and it's working fine. Also are you taking the whole DVD all the extras, lang, subtitles? More compression makes for a worse picture quality. I recommend taking just the movie and the 5.1 English audio...that's what I do and I get either 100% no compression or in the 90's for compression. After I changed the burning speed and used less compression I've had no problems with skipping.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

blueguy,
    Where is your stand-alone dvd player? If its in a rack system or stacked with other components, move it to the top. If its under the tv on a shelf put it on top. I've heard similar problems being caused because the stand-alone player didn't have enough ventalation. It may not solve your problem but is something to consider.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi blueguy, welcome to all the wonderfull formats of dvd. As long as your computer can play the movie ok then there should be no problem with your backups. It's the players that are being played on that are probably the problem. All players are different by which format they can play: Look up your specs on the Player. That will tell you the formats it should play.What is the format you burn your dvds + or -. Does your burner do both formats? This is probably a compatabilty problem that most of us are having.

7. blueguy

blueguy Member

I was looking in my dvd player book and the best i can find for formats it plays is...Ram,dvd-a,dvd-v,vcd,cd,wma,mp3,jpeg. It doesn't mention anything about dvd+r or dvd-r as for my burner it supports all media and i have been using dvd+r.I have only the one unit in a tv cabinet with what i think is adaquit ventilation.I am burnig at 4x because that is max speed for the media.Yes I have been copying the entier dvd. So I wil trie one with just the main movie and the english.Thanks for all your help guys any more is much appreciated.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey blueguy, on my earlier posting i said if the movie plays fine on computer then the backup will be fine. I may have confused you. I meant to say if your backup copy plays ok, then you should have no ploblems with your burn. Sorry if i mislead you. Also what format are you burning. The - format is more universal than the + . I have been experimenting with different media to play my burns on my dreadful APEX stand alone. I can only record in + format. Different media seems to have no effect on playing on my Apex. I will use this info when selecting my next pc burner. I will make sure it will be dual format. Should be more versatile on this issue. Also what is make/model of the stand alone player that is having trouble with your pc burns? Another thing you can try: leave your player off for a while to cool all the way down. After that, try playing.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Here is a link to check your stand-alone compatability.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Also if your dvdrw is capable booktype your +r or +rw media to dvd-rom with a bitsetting tool. This will make your backups much more compatable. I booktype all my backups dvd-rom.

10. blueguy

blueguy Member

Panisonic dvd-vcr combo but I also have a citizen and i have had the same problem on both.

Sorry Mort81 I dont understand would you mind explaining a bit further like how would i check that I tried that link but it didn't have any info on mine thanks though

11. blueguy

blueguy Member

To burn only the main movie and the english what do I select and unselect??Ac3 5.1?? dts 5.1??what is the subpicture??do I want any unreferanced materials?? any help will be great.I just bought some sony dvd-r so I will trie just the movie and on different media at a slower rate and we will se how that does.

12. blueguy

blueguy Member

Also what is re-author? will that benifit me in any way ??
    \
    thanks

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

blueguy,
    Not all dvdrws are capable of booktyping to dvd-rom. What is the make and model of your dvdrw?
    Re-author allows you to remove some stuff you don't want on your backup (menus, extras) or in some cases add to your dvd (flippers, episodes from different dvds)

All you need is AC3 5.1 unless you have a dolby digital dts 5.1 reciever. The subpicture is captioning for the hearing impaired. Don't check any of those unless you want to be able to read what they are saying.

You need to click on the guides tab at the top of the forum or google for some more dvd shrink guides if you don't like those. Then you can print them out and learn how to use the proggy and its features.

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey blueguy. re-author is what we use to take off the extras to help the compression so if is too large, say over 4300 mbs, . Then drag main file over to the left side of screen. If higher than 4300 mbs then let it automatic compress files. if compress is 100% then you won't have to shrink because the movie is smaller than around 4300 mbs. I use 5.1 and ac3. check mark these two. sometimes you have multiple titles, i usually use the first title. If under 4300 mbs. On the bottom of that screen are 2 small view screens. That is the subpicture. There is a icon that looks like 2 arrows-1 going right-1 going left. click this button. This will show you your movie you are trying to create.This feature also can cut off some mbs if desired,such as beginning and ending credits. Just use the arrows or slider bar. You shouldn't worry about the first time.after you click ok on subpicture then hit backup. there is where you set your region,deep analysis "if it is too large and has to be shrunk down to size" If it is shrunk then you click box for a better copy-but adds to time. The set to region free, low encode speed- another enhancement for quality, set burn speed-keep under 4x.After those settings are done, hit ok. There it starts the process. This is how i do it- i have 1 dvd drive so my ripping files go to my harddrive: after deepanalysis , then it encodes, after encoding it spits out original disc and i replace it with a blank. There nero or dvd decrypter should take over on the burn process. This is just a little cheat sheat i used when i started burning. You should check out some of the dvd shrink and dvd decrypter guides in the guides forum room. scubapete also has a great guide. Check your settings for shrink and decrypter from these guides and you should be on your way. You should practice with rewritable discs unless you need some coasters. Have a good day

15. nemezis

nemezis Member

I've been having the same problem. Some of the DVD I burn play fine all the through and some freeze for a sec or 2 or skip back to the beginning or different chapter. I am thinking that maybe my DVD player may be dirty because they play fine on another DVD player I have that is newer. But my question is. When you are in the burning stage and the dvd is burning. Can the burning process be interupted by programs working in the back ground like Norton programs or sheduled tasks? For example, the DVD is burning and Norton Antivirus shedules a Full Sytem Scan beings Scanning while the DVD is burning. Would that cause the DVD to then freeze or skip when you then play it??

Thanks

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey nemezis, Your question on burning while some things in the background are running. Definity yes, they can give you trouble while burning, No multitasking. I turn off my connection to the internet, set my screen saver so it doesn't come on. Every little thing you can turn off will help.You said your player is newer, dirt shouln't be the problem. Keep those discs clean, use compressed air to clean your burner. I heard people use cleaning discs and some will not use a cleaning disc. I won't use the cleaning disc. Turn everything off that you don't need during the "whole process", not just the burning process. This will help keep the errors down. Later

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If you are useing XP and want to make sure nothing is running in the background: start>run>type msconf>ok>startup tab>disable all>ok>reboot.