1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skipping and Freezing but....

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gonecrazy, Oct 7, 2003.

1. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

I can't seem to find the problem. I searched here for an answer but couldn't find any so thought I would post.

I used to be able to burn DVD's without any problems until recently. The last several that I have burned, skip and evenutally freeze during playback. They play fine on the computer so I assume the problem is some where durring the ripping process.

I use DVD Decrypter, DVD2One and Nero 5.5.10.

I use TDK -R's and Optodisc -RW's. The -R's play fine until the last few chapters then begins to skip and evenutally freeze. The -RW's start skipping almost immediately on playback and then freeze. I've erased and re-burn the same dvd 4 times with no luck!

Any ideas why I am all of a sudden having this problem? Is there a better program then Nero I should use?

Thanks for all your help!

2. malum

malum Regular member

That sounds like a media problem to me
    RWs are very unreliable for video in my experience anyway.
    Are the Rs from the same batch as the ones that worked?

Record Now Max is better than Nero but only in the respect that it produces more compatible discs (which isn't your problem)

If it is freeaing and skipping at the end it means that there are errors on the disc that your standalone can't keep up with correcting. This is unlikely to be the burning software's fault.

Probably the discs, possibly the lens is dirty on the burner (or standalone).

Also check the hard drive for errors and defragment it.
    As a last resort format the drive and reinstall the Operating system

3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Also try using DVD Shrink instead and make sure you use the 'analysis' option. The files produced are better quality and will help to reduce any freezing problems. Also make sure you have atleast version 5.5.10.42 of Nero installed.

4. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

I am still having skipping and freezing problems. I am burning on Maxell oems which I was told are good dvds. The weird thing is it plays fine in my from the hard drive and/or the hard disk so the burn process is not the problem. They start skipping in my standalone within the first 20 mins and sometimes won't play at all. Any ideas?

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

It is possible your standalone is not that good at playing DVD-R. Is there any way you can try playing them in a different standalone to see what happens? Always make sure the disc is cleaned with soft tissue as any marks on the burnt surface will cause freezing and skipping.

6. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

Discmania,

They don't play well in either of our standalones. One is an older Panasonic and the other is a new JVC xs-5000. Another strange thing is I burned Bioncles the Movie for our son and it plays perfect. I used the same type of disc to burn this movie as I did the others.

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

When you use DVD Shrink try and re-author to rip the mvie only - too much compression can cause similar symptoms. It could be that a few of the discs in the pack were not good and of inferior quality. This sometimes happens even with well known brand names.