1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skipping and Grinding Noise!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by miami54, Jan 11, 2007.

1. miami54

miami54 Guest

Just had a question and wondered if anyone could help. I've benn backing up movies with no problem. I've used mostly dvd-r discs. I just got some Dvd+r's and when I burn a movie with it it plays fine, but when it's skipping through chapters and scenes before you get to the actual movie, it grinds and skips. I'm using fuji Dvd's but the dvd player is just a cheap one. I dont have that problem with the dvd-r discs. Could it be just the cheap dvd player or is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanx in advance for any help.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Could be that the DVD player is having trouble reading your discs...all discs are not created equal. Even the same brand across DVD-R to DVD+R could be made by different manufacturers. Verbatims seem to yeild a higher degree of compatability.

3. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

Check your owners manual & see if your player is rater to play
    DVD+R disks--older ones are not.

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

As long as your DVD player is playing the discs properly, it's OK. DVD+ discs are designed for both data and video; so your player is doing some extra work moving from menus/files/data. Since you say it is a less expensive player, the work the optical pickup head sled is doing to find the right places is making greater noise than usual with a DVD-R disc. DVD-R is designed strictly for sequential video recording; so it has a simpler file organization and your pickup head does less work getting started. I would guess that is the difference you are hearing.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Your dvd player is telling you there is something wrong with those + format backups,but shouldn't be a major issue.

How fast are you burning?
    What programs are you using?
    Using Paper/sticker labels?
    Multi-tasking during any of the dvd backup phases?

Quality will vary between brand named media.Same goes when switching formats-the MID code changed.

Download this free utility and run a Plus and a Dash backup through it:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Insert a dash disc,open up dvdidentifier,select the drive that backup is in,click identify. Then click on the notepad and paste it back into your next post so we can see who actually made that media. Do the same with one of the plus discs and paste it in.

Some players are sensitive to certain media.We call them Picky Players.

I get very good playback on my el-cheapo magnavox player,until I watched a Maxell +16x cmag last night and had a couple of really bad spots on it. Now when watching a +8x maxell hitachi -looks like I'm watching the original-perfect playback. The only difference: the +8x was Hitachi made Maxell-002-00 and the +16x maxell was made by CMCMAG-M01-000,so a very huge quality difference on nearly identical plus format maxells.

6. miami54

miami54 Guest

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:prodiscF02]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
    Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF02]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:pRODISC-R05-001]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
    Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
    Manufacturer ID : [PRODISC]
    Media Type ID : [R05]
    Product Revision : [001]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Also, I am using anydvd with clonedvd2. No paper lables or anything like that. Burning at 4x. Thanx again everyone for all the help!

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Prodisc? UGGH! Fuji +16x

I'll attest to those Prodisc R-05's being some crappy media. You've got prodisc on both those batches-double whammy.

BTW: You're plus format backup is booktyped to dvd-rom. That will give you the highest stand alone compatability if you stick with the plus format,but higher quality media like Verbatim,Taiyo Yuden, Japanese Sony-fuji-Maxell.

Now if you can find the japanese fuji or sony-they Will yield taiyo yuden media and they'll have a white/ octagon foam spacer on top of the spindle. Japanese maxells will yield Hitachi's. Look those spindles over for Made In Japan.

8. miami54

miami54 Guest

Will Do! Thanx alot for the help. That's what ya get when you find Disc's On Clearance.lol

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've gotten some pretty decent ritek and ricoh media in those clearances. Even office Depot's brand name is pretty decent and can be had for 20 cents each when on sale. Now if you look at the staple's Teon and Playo,the quality really suffers- Cmags,UME,AML,etc.

I got some very good Maxell Hitachi +8x, white/full hub inkjet printables from Walmart for half the price I'd find on the web.

Fuji had some pretty good stuff in the +8x speed,but it's harder to find because the 16x speed is replacing them. Yuden000-T02 and Ritek-R03 were their main MID codes on the +8x fuji. The dash still had prodisc and some fujifilm03 that you had to watch out for. Their 16x media,I haven't heard anyone finding any tys in them.

Generally,maxell +8x were the same. Very good in the +8x which had Maxell-002-00 made by hitachi and Ritek-R03 making up most of the rest. Chances for cmags was higher in their -8x. Now maxell is using a lot of cmags in their 16x speed media.

TDK: Same as fuji,maxell,HP,Philips,Memorex. It's hard to know which ones were made by good manufacturers- MCC,Ty,Hitachi,Ritek,or which ones were made by the lower quality manufacturers-Cmags,Prodisc,MBI

My benqs and plextor will burn any of those manufactures,but picky stand alone players can tell the difference of that media quality during playback.

For best playback and fewer issues,stick with the higher quality stuff like Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. Quality media will prevent a lot of issues.

Try playing that plus prodisc backup on the pc,using the same burner drive, to play it. See if those issues pop up on your pc,especially the area where those issues occured on your stand alone player. See how your burner plays it. Test it out in other stand alone players-the more,the better. That'll help narrow it down.